Re: Spiritual awareness

Robert L. Miller (rlmiller@garlic.com)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:18:11 -0700

Glenn wrote in part:

>If the Judeo-Christian system is nothing but the outgrowth of a naturalistic
>process whereby man developed a religious belief as his brain became more
>complex, then I would say that we are worshipping man-made gods rather than
>the transcendant Creator of the universe. Most evolutionary theorists would
>say that religion is the primitive attempt to deal with the vicissitudes of
>life. But this makes religion a hallucination of our own minds, a
>self-delusion or a response to the bogeyman who isn't there. To me this
>negates all religions in one fell swoop.
>
>The reason this position is a bias, is that the evidence, can be interpreted
>either way: religion evolved over time, or religion was the result of divine
>activity, but this happened a long, long time ago.

There is a fascinating book that impinges on this subject and on some other
threads we have discussed in the past; "Eternity in Their Hearts" by Don
Richardson, Regal Books, 1981. It is part documentation part interpolation
of the interaction of God with primitive peoples around the world. On page
54 he says, "...more than 90 percent of this world's folk religions
acknowledge at least the existence of God. Some even anticipate his
redeeming concern for mankind."

Bob Miller