Re: Spiritual awareness

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:39:37 -0400

At 8:34 PM -0700 7/15/97, Robert Wahl wrote:
>>>...a phenotype called 'spiritual awareness' to indicate a human?

I wrote

>>Is this a legitimate use of the term phenotype? Aren't phenotypic
>>differences supposed to be observable?

Rob responded

>Yup, I stand corrected. But I'm curious, (as are we all ) are about when
>hominids became spiritual beings. Romans 1 is clear that all humans have
>some sort of awareness of God. Is there no way to infer that from the
>fossil record?

Good question, and one which seems incredibly difficult to answer. It's
seemed to me numerous times in these discussions that a great deal turns on
the answer to the question, "Just what is man?" Does the Bible always mean
spiritually aware humans when it says "man" or "men"? Or are there places
(like Genesis 6 for example) where something else might be meant? Does
genetics have anything to do with spiritual awareness, or does it only
confer the capability for spiritual awareness when certain genetic
characteristics are present (in which case it takes a direct act of God to
actually confer the spiritual awareness)? Someone pointed out a few days
ago that Paul talks of a natural man who seems to have no spiritual
awareness. But Paul teaches that the "natural man" is accountable for his
sins.

It seems to me that Rob's question asks for physical evidence of a
spiritual condition. Such evidence probably does exist, if only we could
interpret it reliably every time. But that's a tall order, especially if
we desire to win over our friends, colleagues and acquaintances who don't
know the Lord.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
William_E._Hamilton@notes.gmr.com
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)