Bible as Non-history?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:59:22 -0600

George Murphy wrote:

> 1) This is just wrong, as I have argued in previous threads, &
> 2) There are a lot of people - not YEC, but more likely non-
> Christians - to whom the artificial historicizing of the
> entire Bible would do more harm than good in trying to bring
> them to accept Christ. C.S. Lewis is a case in point. He
> knew too much about both history and literature to think
> that, e.g., it was either plausible or necessary to insist
> that Jonah was an historical account.

C. S. should have clued in St. Matthew before he could embarrass himself
by writing Matt. 12:40. Perhaps we could make pen and ink changes so
that we can keep others from thinking the Bible was an historical record.
How does this sound? "For as Jonah was [certainly not historically] three
days and three nights in the whales's belly; so shall the Son of man
[certainly not historically] be three days and three nights in the heart
of the earth." Anybody think of any other changes we could make?

Dick Fischer
THE ORIGINS SOLUTION
http://www.orisol.com