Re: "The Sun DID Stand Still (sic)"

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Wed, 05 Mar 1997 20:53:21 -0600

At 10:46 AM 3/5/97 -0500, Bill Hamilton wrote:

>Your recollection is correct. This story has been making the rounds for
>some time now. It seems to me that finding a missing day would require
>astronomical records from Joshua's time or earlier, and these records would
>have to give the positions of several astronomical bodies accurately enough
>to make such a comparison. The versions I hear never explain how the
>comparison was made or where the ancient records came from (I'm not saying
>records of the required accuracy didn't exist in the ancient world. I know
>the Babylonians had the capability to make some fairly accurate
>astronomical predictions, and I presume some others did too. But without
>any information about what records specifically were used, it's difficult
>to understand why anyone would find such accounts persuasive)

Bill,

There are no records which could verify this event. The reason is that BOTH
the sun AND the moon are said to have stopped for a full day.

Joshua 10:12-13(NIV) On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over
to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel: "O
sun, stand still over Gibeon, O moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.
So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the
nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the
Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and
delayed going down about a full day.

If all relative motion stopped for 24 hours, when everything started up
again, it would be in the same place as it was before and this this event
will forever be unverifiable by astronical data.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood