Re: Count sheep, anyone?

Rodney Dunning (dunnirb4@darth.phy.wfu.edu)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:51:27 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Gene Dunbar Godbold wrote:

> > On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Scott A. Oakman wrote:
>
> According to Rodney Dunning:
> > I think only the cloned person can answer that question. But I do worry
> > about the sense of identity and self-worth of person whose "parent" is
> > also their twin. I'm also concerned about such a person's sense of
> > control over their life, given that a genetically identical person has
> > already lived before them.
>
> I think the clone might be curious about his twin out-of-time as it were,
> but I don't think the existence of the previous being necessarily has to
> set up some neuroses or something in the clone...unless you cloned a
> neurotic, of course!

I hope your right, since it's extremely unlikely that this research won't
culminate in the cloning of a human. I was only expressing concerns, not
making predictions. Whatever we think the outcomes may be, we're
proceeding on the almost total absence of empirical data (though I suppose
research on the psychology of identical twins may yield some helpful
results for this discussion).

Rodney Dunning
e-mail: dunnirb4@wfu.edu
voice: 910-759-4977 or 910-759-4980