Re: Count sheep, anyone?

Gene Dunbar Godbold (gdg4n@avery.med.virginia.edu)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:03:55 -0500 (EST)

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Scott A. Oakman wrote:

> > Agree or disagree? Is a cloned baby just another human baby, no more or less
> > individual than a baby conceived in the traditional way, or by in vitro
> > fertilization?

According to Rodney Dunning:
> I think only the cloned person can answer that question. But I do worry
> about the sense of identity and self-worth of person whose "parent" is
> also their twin. I'm also concerned about such a person's sense of
> control over their life, given that a genetically identical person has
> already lived before them.

I think the clone might be curious about his twin out-of-time as it were,
but I don't think the existence of the previous being necessarily has to
set up some neuroses or something in the clone...unless you cloned a
neurotic, of course!

> But my biggest fear is for those of us on the "producing" end of cloned
> humans. Will we as an entire planet have to learn the painful lesson
> many individual parents must one day face, that we cannot force our
> "children" to realize our shattered dreams on our behalf?

Maybe they don't have shattered dreams...Seriously, though, the people who
do the cloning aren't going to do the raising...in my experience most male
Ob/Gyns don't deliver their own children.

Gene

Gene D. Godbold, Ph.D. Lab: 804 924-5167
Research Associate Desk: 804 243-2764
Div. Infectious Disease Home: 804 973-6913
Dept. Internal Medicine Fax: 804 924-7500
MR4 Bldg, Room 2115 email: anselm@virginia.edu
300 Park Place
Charlottesville, VA 22908