Re: theology of the cross of some theistic evolutionists

Pattle Pun (Pattle.P.Pun@wheaton.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:01:35 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:

> If the Fall is historical in space and time, then it is fair game for one to
> ask questions like:
>
> Where did it happen? What was the effect on behavior? What evidence can be
> found of this behavioural change? What kind of hominid was Adam? etc, etc.
>
> These are the questions that lead to concordism. It is one thing to believe
> that something is historical it is another to give a successful explanation
> incorporating the observational data into that historical framework.
>
> I am going to ask another question that made a lot of people mad at me when
> I asked it elsewhere. It is the question "When did the creation of man and
> the Fall happen?"
>
> In short I agree with you Dr. Pun that the creation and Fall must be
> historical, but if they are historical then it is incumbent upon us to
> answers the above questions. Ignoring these questions makes the event
> non-historical.

The attempts to answer this question should be made. At the same time, one
should not be dogmatic on its answer. The important lesson for us to learn
is to separate the essentials from non-essentials, the former has to do
with our salvific knowledge with God, the latter is the area of
intellectual conjecture.

Dr. Pattle Pun
Professor of Biology
Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL 60187