Re: Mere Creation conference

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:30:40 -0500

Pattle Pun wrote:
> Of course, a belief in design is important to postulate this
> hypothesis. But a belief in materialism is what motivates people to
> deny such a scenario also.

"This is most certainly true!" Can we get it straight, once and
for all. that we cannot "prove" God (or an Intelligent Designer, or
whatever) if we start with absolutely no presuppositions? I wish
everyone who wants to engange in science-theology discussions could be
required to have "faith in search of understanding" tattooed on the back
of his/her hand. We believe in God, in part because such faith helps us
to make sense of our experience of the world, and then we try better to
understand the God in whom we believe, thus leading to a deepening of
faith _and_ a more coherent understanding of our experience.
Of course this has the disadvantege, relative to naive design
arguments, of not providing any "proofs" with which to belabor pesky
atheists and enable us to feel intellectually superior to Richard
Dawkins. It has the advantages, however, of
a. theological integrity, and
b. some humility as we approach conversations with unbelievers.
George Murphy