Re: metaphors

Robert L. Miller (rlmiller@garlic.com)
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 02:44:45 GMT

George Murphy wrote in part:

> Some care is needed in talking about what God has "told us"
>about creation, for this language is likely to obscure the distinction
>between what God reveals to us and what we find out by our efforts.
>(Admittedly the two can't be totally divorced: People had to open their
>eyes to see Jesus.)
> God's reveals to us who God is and what God's will is for us,
>things which we cannot discover scientifically. This revelation
>involves creation, but in fairly general terms: God is the sole
>creator, creation is good, &c. It is IMO a theological deduction from
>this that the world makes sense and can be understood by observation and
>rational processes _even by people who do not believe that the world is
>created by God_.

My statement is about the comparative difference between humans and God.
Perhaps I can call it an uncertainty principle. Our ability to understand
God's creative power (i.e. how did He create the universe?) is limited by
our capacity for holding the requisite number of facts in correct
juxtaposition in our comparatively feeble little minds. I agree that God
reveals Himself to us but that revelation is limited by our intellectual
capacity. Do you think that when we get to heaven we will able to find the
answers to all our scientific puzzles?

Bob Miller