Re: skepticism

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Wed, 09 Oct 1996 07:59:06 -0400

Glenn Morton wrote:

> George Murphy wrote:
>
> > Yes, but _what_ design do we believe in? As far as I know,
> >there has been little reflection in this context by Christian
> >theologians on what can legitimately be said about God's design for the
> >on the basis of the Bible and Christian tradition. Much of what
> >passes for theological discussion is feeble natural theology a la
> >Paley. Ephesians 1-4 and Colossians 1 provide considerably better
> >guidance.
>
> This is an excellent question. We seem to want God to design and create like
> a magician pulling the rabbit out of the hat--something spectacular which
> violates the laws of the universe which God himself set up. Paley's watch,
> found in nature, would certainly appear to violate the laws of the universe,
> which part of the reason why the "feeling" of design is so strong in that
> case. We seem to not want to have a God who works like an engineer and plans
> ahead. (Is this desire for a magician akin to Pilate's[?] desire to see Jesus
> walk across the water?)
>
> But what needs to be pointed out is that design of a more inclusive, grand
> scale could be accomplished by using the Laws God originally set up to rule
> the universe. If those rules included the ability for life to arise, it is as
> much a case of design as is the creation via the magician; it is just less
> amusing for us.
>
> glenn
> Foundation,Fall and Flood
> http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm

As Lutherans are wont to say, "This is most certainly true."
What I think needs more emphasis, however, is the claim of the New
Testament (especially Ephesians & Colossians) that God's purpose for the
universe is focussed in the Incarnation. All other designs of God
ultimately serve to bring that about.
George