Re: skepticism

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Wed, 09 Oct 1996 06:31:53

George Murphy wrote:

> Yes, but _what_ design do we believe in? As far as I know,
>there has been little reflection in this context by Christian
>theologians on what can legitimately be said about God's design for the
>on the basis of the Bible and Christian tradition. Much of what
>passes for theological discussion is feeble natural theology a la
>Paley. Ephesians 1-4 and Colossians 1 provide considerably better
>guidance.

This is an excellent question. We seem to want God to design and create like
a magician pulling the rabbit out of the hat--something spectacular which
violates the laws of the universe which God himself set up. Paley's watch,
found in nature, would certainly appear to violate the laws of the universe,
which part of the reason why the "feeling" of design is so strong in that
case. We seem to not want to have a God who works like an engineer and plans
ahead. (Is this desire for a magician akin to Pilate's[?] desire to see Jesus
walk across the water?)

But what needs to be pointed out is that design of a more inclusive, grand
scale could be accomplished by using the Laws God originally set up to rule
the universe. If those rules included the ability for life to arise, it is as
much a case of design as is the creation via the magician; it is just less
amusing for us.

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm