Re: Kline article in PSCF

Bill Dozier (dozier@radix.net)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 13:00:05 -0500

At 11:35 AM 3/28/96, Richard L. Bowman is rumored to have typed:

> On 28 Mar 1996, Bill Dozier <dozier@radix.net> wrote:
> > ... For me, I have little problem with accepting that
> > Genesis 1 is a figurative word-picture about real events without telling
> > anything about the mechanisms of them.
>
> He then defined:
>
> > figurative != allegorical

On the other hand, allegorical = figurative.

> > figurative != myth
>
> > figurative != fiction

But myth = fiction.

> > figurative != unreliable && uncorroborated != unreliable
>
> and shows that none of these definitions really are applicable from his
> perspective. So, Bill, what is the definition of "figurative" that you
> like?

Fair enough. I wanted very much to tighten up the terminology that's being
used in this discussion. For one thing, to jump from "figurative" to "myth"
is to set up a straw man. For another, the word "allegory" has a specific
meaning (at least to me) that applies for instance, to Gulliver's_Travels
but not to Genesis. And lastly, the apparent belief that to interpret
Genesis 1 as figurative is to make it fictional is, imho, an emotional
reaction.

Now that I've repeated myself, I'll answer your question. First of all, I
have no problem with the mere term "figurative." As to the real question,
i. e. the specific genre of literature that Genesis 1 represents, not being
knowledgeable in ancient middle Eastern literature, I can't say except to
rule out: narrative, allegory, myth and legend. There are other choices.
The high degree of structure to the chapter seems to me to suggest some
form of poetry.

How would I define "figurative," then, in this context? How about "the
description of an unknown or difficult to describe or imagine thing or
process in terms of a known or more easily described or imagined thing or
process." If it's a synonym for "figurative" that you want, then the only
one I can think of at the moment would be "metaphorical."

Bill Dozier
Scatterer at Large
dozier@radix.net