RE: Kline article in PSCF

Peter Vibert (peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:22:18 -0500

Bill Dozier wrote:
>I think we need a little more rigorous terminology here...[re.]
>figurative != allegorical
>figurative != myth
>figurative != fiction
>figurative != unreliable && uncorroborated != unreliable

Good distinctions!

Can we get back to some specific discussion of Kline's "framework" view of
Gn 1-2 ?? It's not allegorical, it's figurative - that is, the "days" are
not to be taken as units of time, as the 7th day in particular
demonstrates. Is THIS point defensible? Generally accepted? What do
patristic interpreters say? Is there still argument (exegetical or
otherwise) about the nature of the 7th day? Do some take it to mean that
God has been "resting for a long time" since Creation?

I would like to learn something here from people who KNOW more about this
than I do...

Peter

Peter J. Vibert
Senior Scientist Interim Pastor
Rosenstiel Basic Medical The Congregational Church
Sciences Research Center in North Chelmsford
Brandeis University 15 Princeton Street
PO Box 9110, Waltham, MA 02254 N. Chelmsford, MA 01863

tel: (617) 736-4947 tel: (508) 251-1261
fax: (617) 736-2419
Int: peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
WWW: http://www.rose.brandeis.edu/users/vibert