Re: Kline in PSCF

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:18:57 -0500

Robert L. Miller wrote:
>Thank you Glenn for working on my questions. In response to my question about
>the relationship between hominids and the historical first couple you replied
>that we need to define what a human is and that some have postulated that God
>intervened at some point along the way of hominid development and called the
>suitably advanced model Adam and Eve. (Sorry about the paraphrase |: ) I have a
>couple of problems with that theory. First, its only reason for existence seems
>to be to hook the hominids to scripture. I have never heard any scriptural or
>extrabiblical support for this idea. Secondly, it doesn't get around the
>problem
>of a first couple. If God had waited until the hominids had evolved to
>Cro-Magnon, then breathed into some couple the breath of life to make them the
>first couple, what happened to the rest of the Cro-Magnon population? It
>doesn't
>seem to fit God's character to just wipe them out.

Roy Caouser had a solution to that problem in a paper he wrote titled
"Genesis on origins" (or something like that) in PSCF a few years ago.
(Both my ASA database and my old issues are at home. I can get the
complete citation tomorrow if someone needs it). IMO there are problems
with this solution, but perhaps it's useful to review what he said.
Essentially Clouser claimed that

1. God's act of breathing the breath of life into Adam consisted in
revealing Himself to a hominid, who became Adam.

2. Adam told his mate about God, and she became Eve.

By logical extension, Adam and Eve, the first "missionary couple" could
have then told the other members of their community about God, and those
who believed would have become men.

As I said above, I see a long list of problems with this approach, but
perhaps there is some germ of value in it.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)