Re: Why believe?

Garry DeWeese (deweese@ucsu.Colorado.EDU)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:03:18 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 Gene_Hartquist@cornell.edu wrote:

> In the thread on the historicity of the Bible/Christ v.s. faith or
> spirituality, no one has mentioned the role of the Holy Spirit in
> spotlighting Christ.
>
> J.I. Packer's KEEPING IN STEP WITH THE SPRIRIT is worth the effort
> to read. I am in no position to try to paraphrase his work but I
> get the feeling that the historicity of the Bible is important
> Faith in and commitment to Christ are important. And, the role
> of the Holy Spirt is VERY important in affecing a belief in Christ.
>
> -- Gene

Gene, you have a great point. Paul says "The Spirit bears witness with
our spirits that we are the children of God," and other similar
statments. But is it possible that the epistemic role of the Spirit is
in creating certitude rather than in creating justification or warrant
for our beliefs?

Garry DeWeese