Re: Godel's theorem

jeffery lynn mullins (jmullins@wam.umd.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 13:25:53 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996 ken.w.smith@cmich.edu wrote:

> Closing comments:
> I am very suspicious of the paper by Yockey -- I've apparently
> missed the reference; I would like to read the paper.
> The impact of Godel's theorem has not been understood by most
> scientists. Godel deflates "scientism", his theorem destroys the prevailing
> belief that all we need is more knowledge, that it is possible to understand
> *everything*. As Christians, it might be a tool we could use to challenge
> those who worship science...
>
> In Christ,
> Ken

This is interesting, since the original reply to Glenn had a
mathematician quoted as saying that Godel's theorem only applied to
axioms about the natural numbers. Since I had used Godel's theorem to
say that "scientism" is refuted by it in the past, I was worried that I
was misusing it. I'm glad you, as a mathematician, made the closing
remarks that you did.

Jeff