Re: Godel's theorem

Peter Vibert (peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:50:39 -0500

>glenn wrote:

>Thus it is possible to know that a statement is true (a SETI signal which
>plays pictures on my TV proves that there is a message) but be unable to prove
>mathematically that the sequence contains a message. This is what I suggested
>earlier today.
>
>SETI is different from DNA. We can hope to design a device which decodes the
>message in SETI (i.e. plays the TV picture). But proving that DNA is the
>product of deliberate design, is something else. What TV set do I use to see
>(prove) the design?
>
>Now, does anyone have a TV set that plays DNA?

It's called a cell. Or, if you want to get detailed, it's a coordinated
series of mechanisms using components that include RNA polymerases,
transcription factors, ... not to mention unwindases, helicases, ligases...
and ribosomes and tRNAs and elongation factors ... and tRNA-synthetases
...etc etc.

Why do we "know" that the DNA carried a message? Because we get out a
"functional" protein at the end. How do we recognize a "functional"
protein...??

The regression is of course endless. Knowing whether there is "meaning" or
"message" is, in a _reductio ad absurdum_ sense, undecideable if we do not
take for granted that our rationality is real (though imperfect) and not an
illusion.
So even our esteemed colleague in science Richard Dawkins agrees that
biological systems have "the appearance of design". Deciding how things got
to be that way is probably logically (mathematically?) undecideable, and it
requires a deliberate act of belief/faith/trust to recognize the hand of
God in Creation (or perhaps deliberate disbelief to NOT recognize it - both
views have Biblical warrant).

Meanwhile, back in _Genesis_ ... has anyone read Kline's article in March PSCF?
He seems to have no trouble with the ability of figurative language to
convey truth. The question as always is "what truth is this passage of
Scripture teaching?".

back to work
Peter

Peter J. Vibert
Senior Scientist Interim Pastor
Rosenstiel Basic Medical The Congregational Church
Sciences Research Center in North Chelmsford
Brandeis University 15 Princeton Street
PO Box 9110, Waltham, MA 02254 N. Chelmsford, MA 01863

tel: (617) 736-4947 tel: (508) 251-1261
fax: (617) 736-2419
Int: peter@hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
WWW: http://www.rose.brandeis.edu/users/vibert