Re: Dictionary

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Fri, 15 Mar 96 17:54:46 EST

In message <9603151846.AA12612@cpa.mae.cornell.edu> writes:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Garry DeWeese wrote:
>
> >Paul's suggestion is great. How often have we heard/read references to
> >entropy, relativity, Godel, Eldridge/Gould, etc. etc., not to mention
> >Plato, Kant, etc., or Calvin, Barth, Bultmann, dispensationalism, etc.
> >which neither understand nor accurately use the material? We do need a
> >"Dictionary of Cross-Disciplinary Concepts for Those Who Are In Over
> >Their Heads."
> >
> >Garry
>
> Try A DICTIONARY OF PHILOSOPHY by Antony Flew. My copy is the 2nd ed.
> copyright 1979. It doesn't have everything we might want. I don't
> find dispensensationalism for example. However, it has a lot of the
> above.
>
> -- Gene

I have one of those dictionaries, edited by many philosophers. My philosophy
teacher didn't like it, or any such reference. Go figure.

Actually, do you think we could get a consensus on anything here? That would
last more than a week?

For example, I recently was looking for articles on business process modeling,
and I ran across a Web site full of articles on "Ontology". In their context,
it seemed to mean something like "the actual business process that we are trying
to model." Would that definition be in your dictionary?

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084