Re: YEC< OEC, PC, TE, etc.

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Fri, 15 Mar 96 17:49:08 EST

In message <1.5.4b11.16.19960315101558.3107c284@charon.ppco.com> "George D.
Parks" writes:
> I think that you've hinted at the answer to your own question here. You're
> in the business of finding oil. If God were in the same business, he'd want
> literal, scientific information.

> George

> gdp@ppco.comGlenn Morton wrote:
>
> >I manage a group of geophysicists who are engaged in reconstructing earth
> >history. Their job is to come up with a sequence of events which they
> >believe ACTUALLY happened in the areas they are exporing for oil in. If one
> >of these guys came to me one day with a foolish and ridiculous tale of the
> >geohistory of the region and then told me that he was telling me the truth
> >via a "non-literal device", a myth, or an allegory, I would fire the man
> >right there on the spot! I pay him to tell me the truth, and nothing less
> >than the truth as he has deduced it. He can be wrong, based on incomplete or
> >erroneous information, but he better not try to tell me a fable. I am going
> >to invest several millions of my employer's dollars based upon what that
> man
> >tells me. If I expect that from someone who works for me, why should I
> >expect less accuracy from the God who actually created this place? After
> >all, I am going to invest something far more precious than mere millions of
> >dollars. I am going to invest my LIFE! And I am going to ask others to
> >invest their lives also.

There are some petrologists who are creationists -- not many, but not none.
There are also those (such as the LAPD) who spend a lot of money on psychics,
dowsing for water, and the like. It would be nice if these things were not
true, but in California I would not be surprised to find astronomers who are
deeply into astrology.

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084