Re: YEC< OEC, PC, TE, etc.

George D. Parks (gdp@ppco.com)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:15:58 -0600

I think that you've hinted at the answer to your own question here. You're
in the business of finding oil. If God were in the same business, he'd want
literal, scientific information. He, however, is in another business, so He
presents His information somewhat differently. I believe that the account
of creation in Genesis wasn't intended to present a scientific explanation
that would make sense to men and women in the late 20th century. If it
were, it would have been incomprehensible to countless generations.

Instead, it's meant to show that God created this world in an orderly
manner. Truth told by fable, allegory, parable is no less truth. If one of
your geophysicists has to make a presentation to management, he may simplify
his data so that even a manager can understand it (that's really simple!!
;-)). When we make those presentations, the scientific rigor is lost in the
simplifications. Does that make it all wrong or untrue?

Remember that our so-called rational, scientific worldview is a recent
invention. When reading any ancient literature, we have to remember that
the original readers saw it in a much different light than we do. We need
to accept God's message on His terms, not ours.

George