Re: Time Mag article

PMJAQUA@pwinet.upj.com
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:58:00 -0500

Bryan's question regarding how we 2000+ scientists who believe in
Biblical Christianity should respond is a good one. If someone on this
list (or the scichr list) could figure out how to organize it I would like
to propose that we draft a statement reflecting our belief in evolution,
the age of the cosmos, and the Scriptures that we could all "sign" via
e-mail. This statement could then be sent to TIME (and NBC in response to
their show "The Mysterious Origins of Man"). Is such an action feasible?

Mike Jaqua
Kalamazoo, MI
pmjaqua@pwinet.upj.com

PS- Time's assertion that about 50% of the population does not believe
in evolution is based on a number of polls. As far as I know most of these
polls actually addressed the issue of when man arose. 40-60% of people
(depending on the poll) said that they believed that man was made by a
special act of creation within the last several thousand years. This
response would leave room for belief in a very old universe. If there are
better poll results revealing the actual opinions of people vis-a-vis the
age of the earth I'd like to hear about them.

Subject: Time Mag article
Author: Bryan Bishop <bishopdo@pilot.msu.edu> at INTERNET
Date: 3/13/96 9:04 AM

Just wanted to pass this on. I've seen posted in this group and talked with
a few people in my church as to why people think that belief in an old earth
is also belief in evolution (without God). This weeks Time is a good
example at to why this is so. Time make this assertion that ca 50% of the
population does not believe in evoution but believes against all scientific
evidence that the world was created in 7 days by God, as according to
Genesis. They then go on to point out how even inteliigent design is not
believed by any chemists, biologists, or any other scientist. (At least
that's how I intrpreted it.)
How should we, as some 2000 scientists, respond? Or do we remain silent?

Food for thought.

Peace,
Bryan
D. Bryan Bishop