Re: YEC, OEC, PC, TE, etc.

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Wed, 13 Mar 96 16:50:21 EST

In message <Pine.ULT.3.91.960313101339.7067C-100000@rac5.wam.umd.edu> jeffery
lynn mullins writes:

> I don't see anything wrong with "mingling things divine with things human"
> if God is to be Lord of all of our lives. I do not think that we have to
> put knowledge of God and His actions or the contents of the Bible into
> some theological "upper story" or "spiritual" plane of existence that
> cannot interact in the "real" or physical world.

Good. We are getting closer to the root of the difficulty. The "mingling"
quote is from Francis Bacon, c. 1620. "Upper story" is Schaeffer's terminology.
It refers to a total dualism. What some, such as Bube, Van Till, and others are
trying to do is describe a 'complementary' view of the relationship between
nature and Scripture. Bube's recent book, "Putting it All Together" does an
excellent job of saying what is NOT meant by complementarity. I won't attempt
here to garble what he says, but simply recommend that everyone read this book.

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084