Re: Publishing and Publishers

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Wed, 06 Mar 1996 21:37:07

Don DeGraaf wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 PMJAQUA@pwinet.upj.com wrote:
>
>> glenn wrote:
>>
>> >Having recently been through the mill trying to find a publisher for a
>> >theistic evolutionary manuscript, I can assure you that the
> conservative
>> >Christian publishers will not publish anything that does not follow the
>> > YEC line.
>> What publishers do Hugh Ross or Howard van Til use? Perhaps they
>> would be more open to your work and that of other "theistic
> evolutionists.
>>
>> Mike Jaqua
>> Kalamazoo, MI
>> pmjaqua@pwinet.upj.com
>>
>Howard VanTill has had his writings published by Eerdmans, InterVarsity
>Press, and perhaps others.
>Hugh Ross's most recent books (at least some of them) are published by
>NavPress.
>
>My questions to all ASAers: How many of you would find it of interest to
>have some kind of guideline or resource on which publishers are open to
>publishing books or booklets which treat topics in science from a
>Christian point of view, but not a YEC point of view? If this matter
>interests you, what kind of information would you find useful?

Since I started this I am going to post something I wrote to a friend. It is

a description of an attempt to get a theistic evolutionary book published. I

went to over 30 publishers. Including the ones you mention. I have deleted
the names of the individual publishers because I don't think it is fair to
cite them publically without their permission but you will see the dilemma.

This was for the book Foundation,Fall and Flood, which was recently reviewed
in Perspectives (March, 1996), p. 54

***previous e-mail (slightly modified)***
You wrote:
>> I didn't realize you had to go
into the publishing business yourself to get your viewpoints in print.<<

It was weird. As a YEC, I published 27 items in the CRSQ, Int. Conf. on
Creationism, ghost wrote the evolution section for Josh McDowells Reasons
book. I am not a novice at getting things published. But since I have
changed, I can't get anyone to even publish an article where I advocate my
views. When I was searching for a publisher, I got this comment,

"Though I don't agree with all of your conclusions, I think you have done a
good job. You have a number of unique or unusual proposals that would be
helpful for people to consider who are trying to think through the origins
questions. I am especially glad that you are trying to treat both science
and Scripture with integrity. I don't know how many copies of the book you
have had printed so far, but I would like to keep this one if possible (let
me know what it costs) and to get a second for one of my colleagues.
"I am afraid you are going to have trouble getting a publisher. Most
of the conservative Christian houses have young-earth creationists looking
over their shoulder and are reluctant to publish anything that would get them
into trouble with that group. (Both Hugh Ross and I have faced this problem)
In general, your liberal religious publishers would only sneer at taking the
Bible seriously regarding early earth's history. "
"I'm afraid that we at [deleted by GRM} cannot publish your book. Our guys
are old-earth creationists, not theistic evolutionists, and we take enough
heat for our own position without attracting additional flack for publishing
a book we don't even agree with."

It was the nicest rejection I ever got.

Another publisher called me, encouraged me, (he talked to me for over 45
minutes) but said he didn't think they could publish it either. However, he
has since bought 7 books. One for himself and 6 to give away. If the book
is bad, as one might surmize from the more than 30 rejections, why would the
guy do this?

One editor hand wrote a note on his rejection "Excellent presentation." and
wrote in the body "Do keep knocking on the doors". His assistent had wanted
to read it before he returned it but the editor didn't let him.

[name deleted by glenn]'s editor hand wrote on his form rejection letter, "We

appreciate your material but do not have a place for a book on this subject
in our present plan. Sorry." Publishers generally don't write hand notes on
rejections.

I have also tried to publish shorter articles in various Christian journals
advocating my views. Every single one has rejected me. I just thank God I
live in the age of Internet because that is the only venue open to me.
***

Of course the opinions are mine. I wrote them didn't I?
Of course the opinions are mine. I wrote them didn't I?