Re: Arthur Eddington on Science and Religion

jeffery lynn mullins (jmullins@wam.umd.edu)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:13:38 -0500 (EST)

The question of the Christian faith of Eddington is interesting, because
he is often quoted as saying that "The idea of a beginning to the universe
is repugnant to me" in books dealing with how the Big Bang theory confirms
the Genesis account. You can find the quote in Hugh Ross's books and
others, such as William Lane Craig's *The Existence of God and the
Beginning of the Universe* and in Jastrow's God and the astronomers, if
memory serves me correctly. The context of the quotes in these books
would lead to the impression that Eddington was an atheist because he
wanted the universe to be without beginning (i.e., eternal). The mention
of Eddington being a Quaker was thus a shock to me after reading this
quote in so many books on the origins of the universe (both from secular
and Christian authors). It would be very interesting to find out what
Eddington believed and if there was some contradiction in his faith and
his philosophical leanings, and why he had the conviction that a
beginning to the universe was repugnant (assuming the quote is true).

Jeff