Re: intelligent design

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 16:24:58 EDT

    > > Dawkins writes, "Darwin made it possible
    > >to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist." If Darwinism requires intelligent
    > >direction, then Dawkins couldn't make that statement.

    He may be mistaken whether or not Darwinism requires intilligent
    direction. Arguably, the reason that Dawkins can say this was/is
    because of Christians' (and Dawkins) belief that the argument from
    design is synonymous with Christianity. In my opinion, Christians who
    affirm the logic of Dawkins statement by disputing only whether there
    is detectable design or not, implicitly affirm Dawkins' belief that Jesus is
    irrelevant to the question of God's existence.

    The damage to orthoxy in Darwin's time, was arguably set up by
    Christians' acceptance of William Paley's "proof" of God's existence
    through the argument from design as being Christianity (Paley coined
    the watchmaker argument that Dawkins exploits in The Blind WAtchmaker)
    which they thought was a "silver bullet". For example, if I recall
    correctly, knowledge of Paley was more important than knowledge of the
    bible in examinations for the priesthood at Cambridge. (Dembski's
    wistful look back to Paley in "Intelligent Design" concerns
    me).

    The process might be something like this: 1) Paley said that design in
    nature indicated a benevolent God. Darwin produced a plausible
    alternative. Christians found the proof gone. Chistians who had built
    faith on a sandy foundation that did not involve Jesus lost their
    foundation.

    Rather than rebuild a sandy foundation, lets build on the rock and not
    go hankering after silver bullets.

    Interestingly, Dembski in "Intelligent Design" looks wistfully back to
    Paley.

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department |
    Washington and Jefferson College |