Re: Macro/micro and common ancestry

From: Bryan Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 14:54:48 EDT

    David Campbell wrote:

    > >David C. writes:
    > >>That would be a valid point, if he did not go beyond it. However, two
    > >>invalid points are added. First is making the claim that nature definitely
    > >>did not do it on its own. Although the picture is by no means complete,
    > >>the gaps have consistently narrowed, so that macroevolution sensu Johnson,
    > >>etc. is plausible. The purported gaps in common ancestry invoked by
    > >>Johnson, etc. tend not to reflect paleontological reality.
    > >
    > >Until we have a smooth and continuous genetic trajectory without viability
    > >gaps,
    > >then "plausible" just means "I can imagine it". But conceivability is not a
    > >good
    > >guide to possibility, especially when we have barely scratched the surface of
    > >what
    > >it is that needs to be conceived. Moreover, the problems of generating
    > >irreducible
    > >complexity (IC) and specified complex information (SPI) have not been solved.
    > >These are some of the reasons Johnson makes the positive claim. Of course we
    > >may
    > >discover natural explanations for the generation of IC and SPI, but in the mean
    > >time, these features lend some support to Johnson's claim.
    >
    > Actually, I mean plausible as seems likely to me. Of course, that does not
    > carry significantly more weight.
    >
    > The problem of generating IC or SPI will seem more serious to non-ID folks
    > if it can be shown that they exist in nature. Neither the definition nor
    > the detection of these is adequately clarified to be very useful. There
    > has been progress in developing evolutionary models for the origin of
    > several complex biochemical systems, despite our rather rudimentary
    > knowledge of their working and the nearly nonexistent fossil record of
    > biochemical systems. This suggests that drawing a line and declaring that
    > scientific discovery will not pass it is unwise. Saying that you do or do
    > not think it will happen is certainly reasonable; that it cannot is the
    > error.
    >
    > >>The more serious error is identifying macroevolution sensu Johnson as
    > >>disproof of God. A Christian viewpoint requires that nature achieving
    > >>things on its own is actually God using means to achieve his purposes
    > >>rather than true independance. Being omniscient and omnipotent, He could
    > >>create things any way He liked. It is this theological error that is most
    > >>disturbing about his claims and their widespread warm reception.
    > >
    > >Concerning theology, if denying omniscience and omnipotence is heresy, then so
    > >is
    > >embracing deism. Clearly there are legitimate theological concerns on both
    > >sides
    > >of the table. Claiming that God acted where He didn't, or denying that God
    > >acted
    > >where He did are both errors. I agree with your point; macroevolution is not
> [...]

    David,

    Overall, I agree with what you say. However, I would like to see the quotation where
    Johnson says "Macroevolution disproves God". Johnson is (I believe) a presbyterian
    in the PCA, which, last time I checked, was a rather conservative organization, and
    fully behind the WCF and the doctrine of providence in particular. I can't imagine
    that Johnson does not adhere to the doctrine of providence. Therefore, it seems
    quite unfair to Johnson to claim that his position viz-a-viz macroevolution implies
    deism-except-for-interruptions. A more charitable interpretation of Johnson is this.
    He upholds to the doctrine of providence, and second-causes whereby God sustains and
    governs His creation. But he also believes that the powers that God has given to
    created entities are limited according to the nature of those entities. A
    normal-sized ant cannot pull a train because such a task requires more power than
    accompanies its God-given, God-sustained and God-governed nature. For this reason,
    for an ant to pull a train requires direct (i.e. immediate) divine action. Likewise,
    claims Johnson, there are some gaps in the evolutionary process that require more
    than what the natural powers of created entities can accomplish. Hence direct divine
    action is necessary to fill those gaps. Whether Johnson is right or wrong about the
    need for direct divine action to cross these gaps (and whether these gaps really
    exist), his position need not be (unfairly) construed as implying deism with
    interruptions.

    - Bryan