Re: Macro/micro and common ancestry

From: Bryan Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 18:52:10 EDT

    Doug Hayworth wrote:

    > Bryan Cross wrote:
    > >Common ancestry does not prove continuity of natural causes. Therefore,
    > >common ancestry per se reveals nothing about the creative capacity of nature.
    >
    > Are you serious?! If the burden of proof necessary to meaningfully proceed
    > is that great, then what hope can the intelligent design folks have for
    > proving their hypotheses? Christians will drag their feet to the bitter
    > end, I guess.
    >
    > Doug

    I didn't realize my claim would seem surprising, but its just logic, not
    foot-dragging (at least on my part!). If either X or Y could produce Z, then Z
    does not entail X, nor does Z entail Y. Additional evidence (besides Z) is
    required to decide between X and Y. At present, for reasons I provided in my
    provided. Indeed there may be some evidence to the contrary (i.e. irreducible
    complexity). If it is sin to presume that there are gaps, why is it not a sin to
    presume there are no gaps. The sin (if we were to call it that) is not in the
    object of the presumption, but in the presumption itself.

    David C. writes:
    >That would be a valid point, if he did not go beyond it. However, two
    >invalid points are added. First is making the claim that nature definitely
    >did not do it on its own. Although the picture is by no means complete,
    >the gaps have consistently narrowed, so that macroevolution sensu Johnson,
    >etc. is plausible. The purported gaps in common ancestry invoked by
    >Johnson, etc. tend not to reflect paleontological reality.

    Until we have a smooth and continuous genetic trajectory without viability gaps,
    then "plausible" just means "I can imagine it". But conceivability is not a good
    guide to possibility, especially when we have barely scratched the surface of what
    it is that needs to be conceived. Moreover, the problems of generating irreducible
    complexity (IC) and specified complex information (SPI) have not been solved.
    These are some of the reasons Johnson makes the positive claim. Of course we may
    discover natural explanations for the generation of IC and SPI, but in the mean
    time, these features lend some support to Johnson's claim.

    >The more serious error is identifying macroevolution sensu Johnson as
    >disproof of God. A Christian viewpoint requires that nature achieving
    >things on its own is actually God using means to achieve his purposes
    >rather than true independance. Being omniscient and omnipotent, He could
    >create things any way He liked. It is this theological error that is most
    >disturbing about his claims and their widespread warm reception.

    Concerning theology, if denying omniscience and omnipotence is heresy, then so is
    embracing deism. Clearly there are legitimate theological concerns on both sides
    of the table. Claiming that God acted where He didn't, or denying that God acted
    where He did are both errors. I agree with your point; macroevolution is not
    disproof of God. However, the statement "nature achieving things on her own is
    actually God using means to achieve his purposes" is a contradiction. Either
    nature is not achieving things on her own, or she is achieving things on her own.
    If the former, then God is doing it, not nature. If the latter, then nature is
    doing it, not God. If God and nature are both involved, then they must have
    different roles. They can't both be doing the same thing in the same sense, for
    that would entail that they were the same thing, and that too is a heresy to be
    avoided (pantheism). To say that God does everything (and that therefore nature
    has no causal role) is (in my view) to deny the doctrine of creation. Theological
    pitfalls indeed abound.

    - Bryan