Neanderthal hybrid

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 16:25:36 EDT

    There is an article in the newest Archaeology on the Lagar Velho child, the
    one that is a Neanderthal/human hybrid. The article concludes with:

     "No wonder that, when modern humans started to cross that 'frontier,' they
    saw them [Neanderthals] as fellow human beings and interbred, as
    demonstrated by the Lagar Velho child.
            "If, for our anatomically modern ancestors, Neanderthals were just
    people--perhaps a little funny-looking, but people nonetheless--why should
    we believe otherwise and persist, against all available biological and
    cultural evidence, in trying to put them in an entirely different
    category?" Joao Zilhao, "Fate of the Neanderthals," Archaeology, July
    August 2000, p. 31

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology