Re: Dembski: 14 questions

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 22:14:11 EDT

    Here are my initial reactions:

    >>1. Detectability Problem --- How is design detected?

    I have not yet seen any methodology for this that can demonatrate anything
    other than the insufficiency of blind chance. A trivial and unremarkable
    conclusion.

    >>2. Functionality Problem --- What is a designed object's function?
    >>
    >>3. Transmission Problem --- How does an object's design trace back
    >>historically? (search for narrative)
    >>
    >>4. Construction Problem --- How was a designed object constructed?
    >>
    >>5. Reverse-Engineering Problem --- How could a designed object have
    >>been constructed?
    >>
    >>6. Perturbation Problem --- How has the original design been modified
    >>and what factors have been modified?
    >>
    >>7. Variability Problem --- What degree of perturbation allows continued
    >>functioning?
    >>
    >>8. Restoration Problem --- Once perturbed, how can original design be
    >>recovered?
    >>
    >>9. Constraints Problem --- What are the constraints within which a
    >>designed object functions well and outside of which it breaks?
    >>
    >>10. Optimality Problem --- In what way is the design optimal?

    These are all perfectly valid scientific questions that the
    scientific>community is already pursuing. Just replace the word "designed
    object"
    with "highly complex and integrated system."

    >>11. Ethical Problem --- Is the design morally right?
    >>
    >>12. Aesthetic Problem --- Is the design beautiful?
    >>
    >>13. Intentionality Problem --- What was the intention of the designer?
    >>
    >>14. Identity Problem --- Who is the designer?

    These are clearly not scientific questions. They are vitally important but
    not scientific.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology