Atheistic portrayal of science in popular culture.

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@ursa.calvin.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 13:23:58 EDT

    Question:
    If science, in its proper context, is compatible with Christian faith;
    if science, as _professionally_ practiced today, is for the most part
          religiously neutral;
      then why
    is science, as portrayed in _popular_ culture, so often colored in
          naturalistic/atheistic hues?

    The students in my January-term Christianity-and-science class asked
    that question. They then brainstormed some answers to that question.
    (The students were Christina Alexander, Joel Alexander, Benjamin
    Anderson, Justin Apple, Jennifer Bergman, Clark Cully, Christopher
    Dutil, Susan Greiner, Jonathan Kornoelje, Daniel Quigley, Lindsey
    Ruffin, Carol Vanderveen, Angelique VanDyke, Clinton Weening, Jonathan
    Zylstra.)

    They came up with an impressive list of answers, which I would like to
    share. (Perhaps people in this discussion group can add more reasons.)

    1) North-American society today equates "religious neutrality" with the
    complete absence of talk about God --- functional agnosticism or
    functional atheism. So when people today attempt to talk about science
    and the results of science in a "religiously neutral" way, they believe
    that, in order to do so, they must make no mention of God at all.

    2) People confuse methodological naturalism with philosophical
    naturalism.

    3) The methodology of science is good for seeking truth at one level,
    the physical level. It is does not give much insight into truths at
    other levels, such as the spiritual level. When looking at nature,
    everyone --- scientists and non-scientists alike --- ordinarily reads
    spiritual meaning into it, especially issues such as the beginning and
    end of the universe, the beginning of human life, the functioning of
    the brain, etc. When non-scientists see scientists treat these issues
    with the methodology of science (emphasizing only truths at the
    physical level), they wonder if they were _wrong_ to think about them
    spiritually. They wonder if naturalistic/atheistic thinking is "all
    that science allows."

    4) Every person has a desire to be "independent of God." When people
    see science giving us greater knowledge and power, they are tempted to
    adopt "the progress of science" into their desire for independence from
    God.

    5) Whenever people believe a theological or spiritual premise (for
    example, the premise that "God created human beings"), they almost
    always attach some assumptions about mechanism (e.g. they have in mind
    some hypothesis about _how_ God created human beings). If and when the
    findings of science disagree with the _mechanism_ that they pictured,
    they interpret this as science attacking their _theological_ belief.

    6) Because of attitudes within the church, many scientists who are
    Christian may be discouraged from writing books and speaking publicly
    on these issues -- which leaves the voice of naturalistic/atheistic
    interpreters of science mostly unchallenged.

    As you see, the list is not only impressive, but also somewhat
    frightening. It reveals just how large a problem we face as we try to
    educate people that science and Christian faith are not enemies.

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College