Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 16:31:00 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>
    To: "glenn morton" <mortongr@flash.net>
    Cc: <PHSEELY@aol.com>; <adam@crowl.webcentral.com.au>; <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 5:38 PM
    > If the historicity of the crucifixion isn't more important than that of,
    e.g.,
    > the Noachic frood then the Christian church has had its priorities messed
    up for the
    > past 2 millennia.

    And how much of the Biblical record can be false and we still think
    Christianity can be true? Can all of Genesis be thrown out (approx 10%)? Can
    all the Pentateuch be tossed (approx. 20%) Can Joshua through Job be tossed
    also (approx 30%)? Or can we ignore the entire OT for a 60% rejection rate
    and Christianity still be true?

    What percentage of the Scripture can be historically false and still have a
    religion worth pursuing?

    > > > You keep misrepresenting my view as a rejection of all historical
    > > evidence. I wish
    > > > you'd stop it.
    > >
    > > No I don't. I wish you would listen to what I am saying. I place the
    > > emphasis on the word 'all' in the above sentence. You don't reject ALL
    > > historical evidence
    >
    > What you previously said in characterizing my views was, "As it is what I
    see
    > being offered is a baseless faith based on faith alone--no evidence
    please, just
    > believe!" _No_ evidence.
    >

    > > but you do reject MUCH historical evidence. You can't
    > > have a true book teach falsehoods. Period. And you keep saying it isn't
    > > teaching the whole truth. That is why you think I misrepresent your
    position
    > > because you give lip service to some parts of the history being actual
    fact

    > To say that I "give lip service to some parts of the history being actual
    fact"
    > means that I don't really believe that the things I say are actual fact -
    such as the
    > crucifixion - are factual. I trust that you're just using the phrase "lip
    service" in a
    > sloppy way.

    Do you believe in Balaam's talking donkey, the floating ax-head? How about
    the waters parting at the Sea? Is that historical?. I know you think Jonah
    is a fish story and thus false, so we know that we can toss that one in my
    questions above.

    > But you practice your own selectivity with Gen.1. Your "days of
    proclamation"
    > view (which I don't consider a terrible interpretation in itself) is
    manifestly
    > non-historical.

    It makes it to be a real event that happened in history as viewed by God.
    At least I don't have to say with embarrassement 'Oh gee, yeah, well I am
    stuck with that silly creation story here in the Bible. Pay no attention to
    it as it is merely to teach us theological truths which have no relationship
    to planet earth's history.'

    I at least would be honest enough to say it is false and I shouldn't teach
    it as conveying anything but a fable concocted by a middle eastern tribe of
    neolithic barbarians who knew nothing and that it was quite similar to
    thousands of other false creation myths taught by thousands of other
    primitive tribes.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology