Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: Adam Crowl (adam@crowl.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 17:00:15 EDT

    Hi Glenn

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: glenn morton
    To: Adam Crowl ; asa@calvin.edu
    Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2000 5:45 PM
    Subject: Re: Methane in the late Archean

    Adam wrote:
    >Adam: To me this is suggestive of a Concordist scenario in which the Earth
    is enshrouded in >aerosols formed from photochemical reactions on methane in
    the upper atmosphere, thus covering >the heavens but allowing light to pass
    through producing a diurnal cycle. It's believed that the >Sun's UV
    production is decreasing over the aeons so in the late Archean upper
    atmospheric >processes would have been greater than the present day. Also
    methane implies life since that's >about the only way it can be produced in
    sufficient quantities under so much photochemical >breakdown.
    Can you provide either a reference or calculations to show that such
    aerosols would form in the requisite amounts? What are the chemical
    pathways and what is the composition of the aerosols?
    I am skeptical that this would work.

    glenn

    I can appreciate your scepticism, but my argument is more by analogy with
    what is happening in the atmosphere of Titan, which is under much lower UV
    levels than even Earth of the present day. Of course abundance of methane is
    also another factor determining how dense the coverage is - and currently we
    don't have a clear picture of what methane abundance was like back then.

    Perhaps Paul is right and all Genesis conveys is spiritual truth wrapped in
    pre-Copernican science.

    Adam