Precambrian miscellania

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 12:46:38 EDT

    I have several tidbits from the Cambrian/Precambrian boundary which those
    who believe that life originated miraculously in the Cambrian need to
    consider. The first is the geochemical evidence of a world populated by
    sponges in the Vendian--the latest period of the Precambrian.

    "Petroleums and bitumens from Early Proterozoic (~1800 Ma) to Miocene (~15
    Ma) age marine strata contain 24-isopropylcholestanes, a novel group of C30
    steroids. The abundance of these compounds, relative to
    24-n-Propylcholestanes, varies with source rock age. Late Proterozoic
    (Vendian) and Early Cambrian oils and/or bitumens from Siberia, the Urals,
    Oman, Australia, and India have a high ratio of 24-isopropylcholestanes to
    24-n-propylcholestanes (>= 1, while younger and older samples have a lower
    ratio (<=0.4). Temporal changes in this parameter may reflect the relative
    abundance of certain Porifera (sponges) and certain marine algae through
    time."
    Mark A. McCaffrey et al, "Paleoenvironmental Implications of Novel C30
    Steranes in Precambrian to Cenozoic Age Petroleum and Bitumen," Geochemica
    et Cosmochimica Acta 58(1994):529-532, p. 529

    David Campbell had alerted me to this article but it took me a while to find
    it. It is a date from the White Sea which shows that the earliest mollusc
    precursor, Kimberella, is 555 million years old.

     "This provides a minimum age for the oldest definitive triploblastic
    bilaterian, Kimberella, and the oldest well-developed trace fossils; and it
    documents that spectacularly diverse and preserved Ediacaran fossils formed
    more than 12 million years before the base of the Cambrian. The oldest known
    bilaterian fossil, Kimberella, is only known from South Australia and the
    White Sea. Kimberella, is an oval- to pear-shaped bilaterally symemetric
    fossil that ranges from 0.3 to 14 cm long and has several zones arranged
    concentrically with both soft and firm body parts. Fedonkin and Waggoner
    interpreted Kimberella as being more complex than a flatworm and having
    possible molluscan synapomorphies, such as a broad muscular foot. Seilacher
    proposed that the radula scratches found in rocks of similar antiquity and
    lithology in South Australia were made by a bilaterian (possibly Kimberella)
    during pendulum grazing, which is also a molluscan feature. Radula scratches
    now found with Kimberella below the dated ash at Zimnie Gory support this
    interpretation. However whether Kimberella at 555 Ma indicates that the
    protostome-deuterostome split is even older is not yet resolvable. Finally,
    our age determination places such characteristic late Neoproterozoic guide
    genera as Charnia, Dickinsonia, Tribrachidium and Kimberella at least 6
    million years before the Namibian assemblage (549-543 Ma)." M. W. Martin, D.
    V. Grazhdankin, S. A. Bowring, D. A. D. Evans, M. A. Fedonkin and J. L.
    Kirschvink, "Age of Neoproterozoic Bilaterian Body and Trace Fossils, White
    Sea, Russia: Implications for Metazoan Evolution," Science,
    288(2000):841-845, p. 844

    The above changes the chart I published on this list a few days ago which
    can be found at
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/cambchron.htm

    Finally, how many 'explosions' have there been. Everyone focuses on the
    Cambrian explosion but it really doesn't explain what is seen in the marine
    fossil record. I would point you however to a chart in J. John Sepkoski, Jr,
    "A factor Analytic Description of the Phanerozoic Marine Fossil Record,"
    Paleobiology 7(1981):1:36-53, p 49. Here are the approximate numbers taken
    from that chart.

    Cambrian beginning 30 families
    Cambrian end 175 families
    Ordovician end 420 families (I don't hear people talking about an Ordovician
    explosion)
    Silurian end 450 families
    Devonian end 400 families
    Carboniferous end 425 families
    Permian before extinct. 375 families
    Permian very end 225 families
    Triassic mid 320 families
    Triassic end 240 families
    Jurassic end 475 families
    Cretaceous end 600 families
    Today 1750 families

    Most of the Cambrian explosion involved families that were essentially
    extinct by the mid Devonian. About 90% of the families were from the
    Trilobita, Polychaeta, Monoplacophora, and Inarticulata(Group I). All other
    groups were very minor in the Cambrian. The Ordovician saw an entirely new
    set of families come on the scene and largely replace group 1. These were
    the Articulata, Crinoidea, Ostracoda, Cephalopoda Anthozoa, Stenolaemata,
    and Stelleroidea. These groups (Group II) constituted about 80 percent of
    the fauna from the Devonian to the Permian extinction. Then after the
    Permian a third group came into play replacing the second group. These are
    the Gastropoda, Bivalvia, Osteichtheyes, Malacostraca, Echinodea,
    Gymnolaemata, Demospongia, and Chondrichthyes (Group III) This group
    constituted about 70% of all families in the Mesozoic and most of the
    Tertiary. Today there are 1750 families in the oceans and 2/3 of them have
    no fossil record so we may be in the throws of another explosion. So there
    have been 3 or 4 different 'explosions' not one. Once again, Christian
    apologists have not kept up with the literature--and this is one from 1981.
    Nor have they incorporated the differing proportions of animals which have
    changed throughout time. Once again, I would ask, why don't we hear of such
    things in our christian apologetical books?

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm