Re: Discovery Institute and Professor J.Y. Chen

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 17:27:22 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Allan Harvey" <aharvey@boulder.nist.gov>
    To: "Paul Nelson" <pnelson2@ix.netcom.com>
    Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 10:56 PM
    Subject: Re: Discovery Institute and Professor J.Y. Chen

    > At 04:54 PM 6/2/00 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:
    > >Allan Harvey wrote:
    > >
    > > > For those who didn't read the original post carefully,
    > > > it should be noted that Glenn was not the slanderer
    > > > here -- he was posting something (adding his own
    > > > cautionary phrases like "may be") somebody else had
    > > > written in a reputable journal.
    > >
    > >Give me a break, Allan. Try this, by way of comparison:
    > >
    > >"I hear John Doe may be beating his wife. Gee, whaddya
    > >think about that?"
    >
    > There is a difference between "I hear" and something published in a
    > reputable journal. If I see a News item in Science, I feel like I can
    > quote it without checking original sources. But a charge that serious
    > probably does merit an attempt at verification before passing it on,
    > especially when you are just an e-mail away

    Allan and Paul are right about the fact that I should have e-mailed Paul
    first. I apologise to Paul, to the Discovery Institute and to Prof. Chen for
    not verifying this first. And I also apologize to this list for this one.
    I blew it here--no two ways about it.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology