Re: Scientists changing their philosophy to fit the data.

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 13:57:27 EDT

    I think that the "germ theory" of disease, already mentioned, especially
    with Koch's approach, was exceedingly important. We still have "bad air"
    as the label for a serious disease.

    An extension of this is the change of "filterable virus," where _virus_
    orignally meant a slimy fluid or a poison (connected in my mind to the
    fact that stagnant water was likely to have an abundance of pathological
    organisms), to a reproducing entity. I don't know enough to say whether
    the discovery of RNA retroviruses shook things up as well.

    Prions seem yet another category that changed thought considerably.

    Dave