Quantum evolution

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 14:22:47 EST

    I am an agnostic who believes life is the result of intelligent design -
    whether it was designed by God, some quantum process, or by the intelligence
    that is an integral part of all nature. I suppose life also might have been
    designed by "Natural Selection", but that seems the most unlikely
    interpretation of the evidence, IMHO. To me, design is the opposite of
    "self-assembly by chance". Like most ID supporters, I accept the age of the
    earth, some form of common ancestry, and real scientific evidence.
    Scientific interpretation of that evidence is often influenced by philosophy.
     I am not a scientist, and am not going to produce any scientific theories,
    but everyone is their own expert when it comes to philosophy. I am an eager
    follower of those scientists whose philosophy I share, even if at the moment
    such scientists are a minority in danger of being shouted down by the
    majority.

    I just read Quantum Evolution, by Johnjoe McFadden. I'll read it again in an
    effort to better understand it. Mcfadden does not support a mechanistic or
    reductionist view of life, pointing out that life, while made of the same
    atoms and molecules of non-life, differs from non-life by an "ability to
    initiate movement". He describes how much of the activity of life is
    initiated at the quantum level, involving electrons and ions. He agrees with
    design theorists that macro evolution appears to consist of quantum leaps
    rather than gradualism. He speculates that the mutations of macro evolution
    develop and remain in a quantum state in the non coding portion of DNA,
    labeled by materialists as "junk", where natural selection can play no part
    in their design. He suggests such complexity, already intelligently
    organized, becomes a reality when "the wave function is collapsed by
    measurement".

    McFadden points out that natural selection maintains stasis. He says he is a
    Darwinist, but not a Neo-Darwinist. Since natural selection was Darwin's
    only contribution to evolutionary theory, perhaps McFadden believes "natural
    selection" maintains stasis and promotes biological novelty simultaneously.
    However if complexity is already intelligently organized by something such as
    quantum processes, I see no evidence to suggest that natural selection would
    select complexity. Simple organisms still dominate the biosphere, and anyone
    not familiar with our evolutionary history might conclude that if natural
    selection did anything, it eliminated complexity.

    McFadden points to recent evidence of directed mutations -self-directed
    mutations, mutations directed by the environment, by some quantum process, or
    something other than chance. Although no scientist would dare voice such
    heresy, who can deny the possibility of "directed by God"? (Why is it more
    acceptable for a scientist to speculate about "collapse of the wave
    function", the suspended animation of Shroedinger's cat, and multiple
    universes than it is to speculate about God's role in the universe?) Quantum
    theory has been accepted by physicists because the model has produced
    results, but even such scientific icons as Einstein claimed no one really
    understands it. If a model of "design" in biology produces more examples of
    directed mutation, perhaps ID will also be accepted even though the designer
    is never identified.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan