Re: AutismUK and the TF

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 15:50:49 EST

    > > AutismUK
    > > >93AD I think.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > > So, he [Josephus] wasn't around during Jesus's life, but only after
    > Christianity had
    > > been established, and *well* after the date that Jesus was supposedly
    > > resurrected? This hardly sounds like independent evidence of the truth of
    > > New Testament claims.
    >
    >Paul Robson:
    >It's as good as anything there is. Watch the desperate attempts of
    >fundamentalists (or as Jones would call them "scholars") to plonk
    >the Gospels at 40-50AD, and have them as "historical". There's
    >little else ; Suetonius refers to unrest caused by Christians during
    >Claudius' time, Pliny Yngr asks Trajan what he's supposed to do
    >with Christians round about 102AD, Tacitus reports Nero tried to
    >blame Christians for the Great Fire around 114AD. And that's it.
    >
    >There's a few second century Jewish responses, and a few
    >things apologists desperately try to twist into evidence. Josephus
    >isn't great, but it's almost all they've got, apart from circular Bible
    >arguments.

    Chris
    So the situation (as far as evidence for the existence and exploits of
    Jesus) is worse even than I would have thought. I'm *still* surprised at
    what pitiful bits and pieces Christian apologists are willing to take as
    proof or at least "really strong evidence" of the existence of, and
    especially the truth of the stories about, Jesus. Nowhere else in
    historiography would such stuff be considered serious proof of miraculous
    events, but Christians take, and want us to take, these tiny bits of
    dubious data as proof not only of mere journalistic claims (such as "Jesus
    *appeared* to perform miracles") but of an entire *metaphysical* system,
    including a bizarrely deranged and malevolent God, a cast of supernatural
    characters and beings that no one has ever knowingly met (how would you
    know whether what you were meeting was one of these beings or something
    else?), and that, all in all, make about as much sense -- less, actually --
    than "Jabberwocky."

    Stephen Jones wants me to view this stuff "without prejudice." Fine: I
    apply to it exactly the same principles and standards I apply to
    *everything*. But, you know what? My meta-principle still keeps saying,
    If an epistemological method can seemingly prove each of two mutually
    incompatible propositions, even when used correctly, then that method,
    as it stands, is unsound.

    The relevance here is obvious. If bits and dregs like the quotes of
    Josephus can prove the historicity of Jesus, his alleged exploits, and the
    existence of God, then, using the same standards that would have to be used
    to make that possible, we could *also* prove a mass of propositions that
    are logically incompatible with these propositions. Therefore, on the
    assumption that no incredible new rules of inference have been found that
    would in fact uniquely justify these conclusions on the basis of the
    evidence, I reject the kind of thinking that would allow these conclusions
    to be based on such slim evidence.

    Now, of course, I leave the door open in several ways:

    First, there's the hint about the specification (and validation) of new
    rules of inference that would allow the validation of the Jesus claims in a
    way that would not *also* allow the equal validation of conflicting claims.

    Second, regardless of my meta-epistemological principle, I am still willing
    to review actual arguments. However, what I've seen so far is *worse* than
    what I had expected, not better (this seems to be a pattern in both
    Christian apologetics and in theistic creationism/ID theory; some fact or
    claim or argument will be touted by supporters as something like an
    irrefutable and clearly sound proof or argument, and then, when I finally
    get a chance to examine it, it turns out to be no better than your average
    "proof" that the circle can be squared by straight-edge and compass.

    Such arguments are worse than this, actually, because the mistake in such a
    "proof" of the square-ability of the circle (etc.) may in fact be very
    subtle and such that even an honest and basically careful person might make
    it, whereas the flaws in the case of claiming that the Josephus quotes
    (etc.) are strong "independent" evidence of the existence, exploits, and
    divinity of Jesus are never (to my knowledge) subtle at all. They are
    errors that are right on the surface, for all to see, merely "by
    inspection," as mathematicians are wont to say of some trivial implication
    that can be seen without calculation.

    While I'm at it, I will make another observation concerning the suggestion
    that I and my ilk merely need to view the evidence "without prejudice."
    This suggestion assumes that, were it not for out prejudices, we would be
    able to see that the evidence rationally requires the conclusion that Jesus
    lived, that he performed the stunts attributed to him, that he was somehow
    a "branch" or avatar of God, and (of course) that the Christian God exists.

    But, the whole point of my criticisms of arguments such as those that Jones
    and others make for these conclusions is not that I don't *like* them, not
    that I find them abhorrent (I *do* find the Biblical versions of God
    abhorrent and immoral), but that there *is* no such rational basis for
    these conclusions in the evidence and arguments claimed as such. My
    prejudices are irrelevant, if you can rationally support your claim. My
    prejudices may make it harder for me to follow the reasoning, and so forth,
    but logic is logic, here as in mathematics, physics, and philosophy
    generally. All that's needed is that Jones and/or others lay out their
    facts and then argue *rationally* from those facts to their conclusions. I
    take the existence of the Josephus quote as real, and, for the sake of
    argument, I will even accept that he thought that what he was saying was
    true, etc.

    *Then* what? Josephus was born *after* the time during which Jesus was
    supposed to have lived. By the time he wrote the statements in question, he
    would have had to have reached some degree of adulthood. But, by then,
    Christianity may have been well under way, even though the New Testament
    was supposedly not cobbled together in its final form until some decades
    after Jesus's time. Stories about people performing miracles are common
    today, and, as far as I can tell, they are all false. The general evidence
    of history and human nature and human culture suggests that such stories
    have been around for thousands of years. The Jesus stories appear to be
    just another set of such stories. Josephus likely heard them and perhaps
    believed them, but this is of little significance if there is no
    independent basis for thinking that Josephus had performed a serious
    investigation and had objectively and rationally ruled out alternative
    explanations for the currency of the stories. On the basis of the quotes,
    it is clear that no such investigation was carried out, or he'd have
    mentioned it.

    No, Stephen, et al: This argument is too weak to be taken seriously, and
    the reasoning involved is such that, were it applied to other similar
    information, we could just as well seemingly prove that Jesus did *not*
    exist, that Allah *and* Quetzalcoatl *do* exist, and so on.

    Therefore, on strictly logical grounds, and completely independently of my
    "prejudices" against taking mere stories as a basis for *metaphysical*
    conclusions, I reject the argument. If there *is* some means of proving the
    conclusions, this is not it, prejudice or no prejudice.