Re: Epistemological standards

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 10:12:07 EST

Reflectorites

Sorry this is rushed.

--Original Message Text---
From: Chris Cogan
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:51:55 -0600

[...]

CC>I still want to know which of my epistemological standards I'm
>supposed to
>give up in order to consider the "evidence" for Christianity "without
>prejudice," to use Jones's phrase. Since Jones seems to have no
>suggestions
>in this respect, perhaps others would like to give it a shot.

Chris does not have to give up any of his "epistemological standards".

All he has to do is consider seriously the possibility that Christianity
*could* be true.

This is the same "epistemological standard" one applies to
*everything*.

PR>Apparently, according to several Jones posts, you have to accept
>that Jesus is the Messiah and the Bible contains predictive prophecy,
>this being a prior requirement of his arguments.

No. One has to be *prepared* to consider seriously the possibility "that
Jesus is the Messiah and the Bible contains predictive prophecy".

PR>Once you have accepted this as a fact, you are open minded to the
>fact that Jesus is the Messiah and the Bible contains predictive prophecy.

No. One is then "open minded to the" *possibility* "that Jesus is the
Messiah and the Bible contains predictive prophecy."

>CC>That seems to be about it. However, to give Jones a better chance, I'm
>hoping to offer, in a later post, my main
>epistemological views, so he can better decide which ones I need to
>change in order to examine the evidence
>"without prejudice."

All Chris needs to change is his *prejudice*!

Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)