Re: [METAVIEWS] 098: Intelligent Design Coming Clean, Part 2 of 4

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 21:19:50 EST

    Reflectorites

    There are some corrections I would like to make to this message.

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:16:49 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    SJ>On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:59:31 -0500, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

    >HVT>The historic _doctrine_ of creation articulates the belief that the entire
    >>universe was given its "being" (its existence, character, resources,
    >>capabilities, potentialities,...) by a Creator. This doctrine says nothing
    >>about the particulars of the formational history of the created world.
    >
    >Disagree. Howard's minimalist definition of creation is Deism. The Bible
    >says not only that God created, but also much about how God created.

    By "Howard's minimalist definition of creation is Deism" I meant it is
    equivalent to Deism's view. I did not mean to imply that Howard himself is
    a Deist.

    >HVT>So, if Darwin says "I had two distinct objects in view; *firstly*, to shew
    >>that species had not been SEPARATELY created ..."
    >>
    >>And if Darwin says that he has "...done good service in aiding to overthrow
    >>the dogma of SEPARATE creations..."

    SJ>Agreed that Darwin here says "separate creation", i.e. that every species
    >was specially created as is, where is.
    >
    >But it is clear that from the rest if the Origin (in which Darwin mentions
    >"creation" or its cognates *98* times and almost all derogatively) that by
    >this strawman (see tagline) Darwin means *the* Christian doctrine of
    >creation.

    >HVT>...then Darwin has said nothing contrary to the _doctrine_ of creation, but
    >>has made a contribution only to the matter of the particulars of the
    >>universe's formational history. In his judgment, the dogma of SEPARATE
    >>creations (pictured as a succession of episodes of form-imposing divine
    >>intervention) was contradicted by the empirical evidence.

    SJ>Disagree-see above.

    >HVT>For Mr. Jones to confuse the dogma of SEPARATE form-imposing interventions
    >>(a matter of formational history) with the DOCTRINE of creation (a matter of
    >>the source of the universe's being) is seriously to
    >>misunderstand/misrepresent the issue.

    SJ>Howard here shoots himself in the foot. He uses the same pejorative
    >"form-imposing interventions" terminology for the ordinary view of
    >creation that most Christians believe in from reading the Bible. Thus
    >Howard agrees with Darwin that what is the problem for evolutionists
    >is *any* form of God's intervention!

    This is unclear. What I meant was that Howard uses the same term: "form-
    imposing interventions" on *any* form of creation other than his `front-
    loaded' "fully-gifted" version. So Howard's distinction between "separate"
    creations and any other form of interventionist creation like Progressive
    Creation, falls flat.

    Thus Howard inadvertently confirms my claim that by "separate creations"
    Darwin means *any* form of creation where God intervenes in natural
    history.

    SJ>IMHO it is *Howard* and his ilk who by their pejorative terminology like
    >"form-imposing interventions" try to make out that the ordinary Biblical
    >view of creation which has been believed by the vast majority of Jewish and
    >Christian believers down through the ages is somehow unusual. When in
    >reality it is *Howard's* (and his ilk's) *non*-interventionist version of creation
    >that is unusual among Christians.
    >
    >The reason, IMHO, is that Howard and his ilk have allowed their thinking
    >on creation to be taken captive by a "hollow and deceptive philosophy":
    >
    > Col 2:8 "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and
    > deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the
    > basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."
    >
    >namely *naturalism*. By this I do not mean anything insulting. Paul gives
    >a clear warning that this is something that can happen to Christians
    >and IMHO this `cap' fits Howard and his ilk. Also I do not claim that
    >otherwise Howard might be a fine Christian gentleman.

    This last sentence should read "...I do not claim that otherwise Howard
    might" not "be a fine Christian gentleman." That is, I do not claim that
    because Howard has allowed his thinking to be captured by naturalism on
    the subject of creation, that he may not otherwise be a fine,
    supernaturalistic Christian on other, non-scientific topics.

    SJ>So Howard's views on creation are not drawn from the Bible, and thus are
    >not pure Christian theism, but instead are heavily influenced by modern day
    >scientific *naturalistic* thinking.
    >
    >The test of this is simple. Howard agrees with scientific naturalists and
    >attacks Bible-believing Christians (both YEC and OEC). Howard does not
    >strongly document his position from the Bible or from modern Bible-believing
    >Christian systematic theologies. Indeed, such theologies classify Howard's
    >(and his ilk's) position as a form of Deistic Evolution:
    >
    > "Although the term is rarely heard, deistic evolution is perhaps the
    > best way to describe one variety of what is generally called theistic
    > evolution. This is the view that God began the process of evolution,
    > producing the first matter and implanting within the creation the
    > laws which its development has followed. Thus, he programmed the
    > process. Then he withdrew from active involvement with the world,
    > becoming, so to speak, Creator emeritus. The progress of the
    > created order is free of direct influence by God. He is the Creator of
    > everything, but only the first living form was directly created. All
    > the rest of God's creating has been done indirectly. God is the
    > Creator, the ultimate cause, but evolution is the means, the
    > proximate cause. Thus, except for its view of the very beginning of
    > matter, deistic evolution is identical to naturalistic evolution for it
    > denies that there is any direct activity by a personal God during the
    > ongoing creative process. Deistic evolution has little difficulty with
    > the scientific data. There is a different story with respect to the
    > biblical material, however. There is a definite conflict between
    > deism's view of an absentee God and the biblical picture of a God
    > who has been involved in not merely one but a whole series of
    > creative acts." (Erickson M.J., "Christian Theology," [1983],
    > Baker: Grand Rapids MI, 1988, Fifth Printing, pp.480-481)
    >
    >So Howard (and his ilk's) position on creation is therefore not a Biblical
    >Christian theistic one. Rather it is a hybrid `theistic naturalistic' one. It
    >enables Christian professors of science like Howard to survive in a
    >pervasively naturalistic scientific environment today.

    I should make clear that I am not being scornful of Howard (and his ilk).
    Indeed, I sympathise with his problem of surviving as a Christian in
    pervasively naturalistic modern science. But I believe that Howard's
    strategy of survival by minimalising Christian theism so that it is virtually
    invisible to scientific naturalism's `radar' is *wrong*.

    SJ>But it should not for a moment be confused with *real* Christian theism's
    >teaching on creation, which is what Howard (and his ilk) spend all their
    >time and talents *attacking*!

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)