Re: A good account of Baylor

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 21:35:30 EST

    >From: Bertvan@aol.com
    >
    > >Reporters are not generally stupid, and maybe some of them are beginning to
    > >realise the unobjectiveness of Darwinists.
    >
    >This reporter is not stupid, but he seems to be ill-informed. Like most
    >commentators on the events at Baylor, he seems to know very little about the
    >scientific issues involved.
    >
    > >BYLINE: By UWE SIEMON-NETTO, UPI Religion Correspondent
    > >

    > >DATELINE: WASHINGTON, Dec. 21
    > >
    > >UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > Professor William A. Dembski, 40, does not show his face at Baylor
    > >University in Waco, Tex., all that often anymore.
    > >

    > > "That's a very hostile environment over there," he told United Press
    > >International. "I go to the library and use the athletic facilities, but I
    > >work from home."
    > >

    > > Baylor calls itself the world's largest Baptist university with 18,000
    > >students. So why would this eminent scholar feel unwelcome in this
    > >Christian school? Why is he an exile within his own four walls?
    > >

    > > Well, Dembski entertains the hypothesis that the universe is the
    > >product of mindful planning rather than a random set of circumstances.

    Chris
    This is, at best, disingenuous. Dembski is not "entertaining" the
    hypothesis. Rather, he has adopted it as his child and is feeding,
    clothing, and housing it.

    > >Though an evangelical Christian, this scholar with doctorates in
    > >mathematics and philosophy does not name the designer, at least not in his
    > >work.

    Richard
    >Dembski makes it quite clear in his work that the designer he has in mind is
    >the Christian God. True, he claims that the Design Inference does not
    >*necessarily* lead to the Christian God. But the statement made here is
    >false.

    >UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > Still, his ideas do not sit well with Baylor professors stuck in
    > >methodological naturalism. This stricture obliges scientists to be
    > >provisional atheists in their work, even if their research surfaces
    > >evidence to the contrary.

    Richard
    >How is this relevant, if the designer of ID is not necessarily supernatural?

    Chris
    Because Dembski wants to have his theism and eat it too, in typical
    hypocritical ID-theorist fashion.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > They denounced Dembski's theories as "stealth creationism," as though
    > >he had promoted the notion that God made this world in six days, exactly as
    > >the Bible says.

    Richard
    >Pesumably this reporter is unaware that not all forms of creationism involve
    >a six-day creation.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > In e-mails and letters to the local media, Dembski's opponents accused
    > >him of endangering Baylor's scholarly reputation. At one point, the
    > >controversy became so frenzied that Robert Sloan, the university's
    > >president, spoke of "McCarthyism."
    > >

    > > Sloan, a renowned New Testament scholar, reminded faculty members how
    > >much scientists had suffered in the past when pressured by fundamentalist
    > >creationists. "It's rather ironic that people in the scientific community
    > >now appear to be suppressing others."
    > >

    > > Yet it took Dembski's antagonists a little over a year to have him
    > >fired from his position as Baylor's Center for Complexity, Information and
    > >Design. Now he is just an associate research professor.

    Richard
    >Is that the new name for the Polanyi Center? Interesting...

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > Sloan had caved in, although he "still supports Dembki's work,"
    > >according to Larry Brumley, Baylor's spokesman.
    > >

    > > William Dembski is a leading proponent of a theory known as Intelligent
    > >Design. This is also the title he gave to one of his books that received
    > >much acclaim around from the world.

    Chris
    Yeah, about one millionth as much as the acclaim of the average local
    garage rock band. Of course, acclaim is irrelevant to whether his theory is
    sound or not, but, apparently, the reporter thinks it is important.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    >It has already sold 20,000 copies, a
    > >staggering figure for a volume of this kind.

    Chris
    *What* kind? The kind of volume catering the fuzzy-minded, the
    desperately-seeking-justification-for-blind-faith, the grossly
    intellectually lazy and/or ignorant and/or incompetent?

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > In his research, Dembski applies mathematics and statistics to detect
    > >purpose in the makeup of the natural world.
    >
    >Wrong. Dembski has never applied the Design Inference to the natural world.
    >At least, if he has, he's never explained how or cited any evidence.

    Chris
    Worse, it seems that he cannot even define it well enough that it *can* be
    applied, even in principle.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > >As the magazine Christianity
    > >Today put it, he is "looking for the difference between a jumble of clouds
    > >and skywriting that broadcasts a message."

    Chris
    Well then, why does he not look at *clouds* and *skywriting* and analyze
    the differences?

    My guess: Because doing so would produce results that would hardly support
    his conclusion. He has a pre-defined and pre-determined conclusion in
    search of suitable premises and reasoning, not a *hypothesis* that he is
    willing to submit to empirical testing.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > President Sloan himself had discovered him a little over a year ago.
    > >Sloan had set himself two goals: leading Baylor into the top tier of
    > >American universities while also guiding it back to its Baptist heritage.
    > >

    > > As part of this endeavor, Sloan set up the Michael Polanyi Center and
    > >put Dembski in charge. The problem is that Baylor is caught up in the
    > >tension between the conservative Southern Baptist Convention and the more
    > >liberal Baptist General Convention in Texas to which this school owes
    > >allegiance.
    > >

    > > "I stepped into internecine Baptist struggles," Dembski told UPI
    > >referring to the ironic kind of struggle where even men and women of faith
    > >purport a materialist way of thinking while at work. "Some of my greatest
    > >enemies are Christians," Dembski said.
    > >

    > > So fierce was the opposition that in April most Baylor biologists
    > >boycotted a Polanyi Center conference attended by renowned mathematicians
    > >and other scientists from around the world, including two Nobel laureates.
    > >Scholars from other universities even tried to sabotage the conference.
    > >They sent bogus notes to all schedules speakers "disinviting" them, the
    > >American Spectator reported.
    > >

    > > Although the conference was a resounding success,

    Richard
    >Success in what sense? Was any scientific progress made? I doubt it.
    >
    >Perhaps it was a propaganda success for the ID lobby.
    >
    >Perhaps it was a success in the sense that a good time was had by all. ;-)

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > Baylor's faculty
    > >senate voted to ask President Sloan to end all Intelligent Design
    > >initiatives. Sloan then convened an "independent committee" to evaluate
    > >Dembski's work. It recommended absorbing the center's functions into the
    > >Institute for Faith and Learning but unambiguously recognized Intelligent
    > >Design as a legitimate scientific discipline.
    > >

    > > Buoyed by this report, Dembski sent out an e-mail: "Dogmatic opponents
    > >of design have who demanded the center be shut down have met their
    > >Waterloo." Said Dembski, "I did not reckon with the faculty's lack of a
    > >sense of humor." Two days later, with Sloan's accord, Dembski was fired
    > >from his position as director of the center.

    Richard
    >If Dembski's comments were meant to be taken as humour, then why was he
    >unwilling to retract them? Why did he say that to retract them would be to
    >"betray all that I have worked for in my professional career."

    Chris
    Sheesh. Richard, you are *so* picky, pointing out contradictions like that.

    UWE SIEMON-NETTO
    > > Baylor spokesman Brumley mused on Thursday that "a lot that some
    > >bridge-building has to be done within the faculty" for Dembski's work to go
    > >forward. Meanwhile, Dembski works in his house determined not to let his
    > >foes relish their success.
    > >

    > > "I have offers from some Christian colleges," he said, "but to go there
    > >would mean handing a victory to my opponents here. My contract with Baylor
    > >runs for another four years."

    Richard