Methods for measuring affect

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 09:50:24 EST

    Bertvan wrote:

    [...]

    CC>No. They exist as states and processes in the real world (in
    CC>people's brains). They can even be *measured*.

    BV>Please tell me more about these scientific methods capable of
    BV>measuring hate and love in the human brain. :-)

    Research is being done to provide methods to quantify affect.

    One example that I know of is the research of W. Jackson Davis
    at the University of California, Santa Cruz, who has been
    working on quantifying affect in humans for some time now. By
    combining facial electromyography with standard subject slides
    used in psychology for self-report of affect, Davis has
    obtained good correlation between sub-threshold activation of
    facial musculature and self-report of affect. The pattern of
    activation indicates categories of affect (e.g., happy, sad,
    etc.) and the amplitude (or more precisely, the area within
    the envelope of the bursts) gives information on degree. In
    other words, Davis is able to both categorize and quantify
    affective states in humans via facial electromyography.

    Wesley