Re: Fwd: [METAVIEWS] 098: Intelligent Design Coming Clean, Part 2 of 4

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 17:42:13 EST

    Reflectorites

    I apologise for this being late.

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:56:43 -0600, Susan Cogan wrote:

    >SC>Dembski:
    >SJ>Criticism [of Darwinism], however, is never enough. I'm fond of
    quoting the
    >>statement by Napoleon III that one never destroys a thing until one
    >>has replaced it. Although it is not a requirement of logic that
    >>scientific theories can only be rejected once a better alternative
    >>has been found, this does seem to be a fact about the sociology of
    >>science -- to wit, scientific theories give way not to criticism but
    >>to new, improved theories. Concerted criticism of Darwinism within
    >>the growing community of design theorists was therefore only the
    >>first step. To be sure, it was a necessary first step since
    >>confidence in Darwinism and especially the power of natural selection
    >>needed first to be undermined before people could take seriously the
    >>need for an alternative theory (this is entirely in line with Thomas
    >>Kuhn's stages in a scientific revolution). Once that confidence was
    >>undermined, the next step was to develop a positive scientific
    >>research program as an alternative to Darwinism and more generally to
    >>naturalistic approaches to the origin and subsequent development of
    >>life.

    SC>I read this and I wonder: Was it Einstein's primary object to
    >"undermine confidence" in Newtonian physics? Was it his primary
    >objective to destroy Newtonian physics? Was it the primary object of
    >quantum mechanics to destroy general relativity?

    I don't know about physics. But in the area of evolution, it was Darwin's
    "primary object to `undermine confidence' in" creation and he actually said
    so:

            "...in the earlier editions of my 'Origin of Species' I perhaps
            attributed too much to the action of natural selection or the survival
            of the fittest. ... I may be permitted to say, as some excuse, that I
            had two distinct objects in view; firstly, to shew that species had
            not been separately created, and secondly, that natural selection had
            been the chief agent of change, though largely aided by the
            inherited effects of habit, and slightly by the direct action of the
            surrounding conditions. ... Some of those who admit the principle
            of evolution, but reject natural selection, seem to forget, when
            criticising my book, that I had the above two objects in view; hence
            if I have erred in giving to natural selection great power, which I
            am very far from admitting, or in having exaggerated its power,
            which is in itself probable, I have at least as I hope, done good
            service in aiding to overthrow the dogma of separate creations."
            (Darwin C.R, "The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to
            Sex," [1871], bound in one volume with "The Origin of Species",
            nd., pp.441-442)

    Note that Darwin says his *primary* goal was religious (i.e. anti-creation)
    and his secondary goal was scientific (i.e. natural selection).

    SC>Wein and Elsberry
    >both have pretty good scientific credentials.

    Wesley AFAIK has a BSc in Zoology, which is just a basic scientific
    credential. But Richard hasn't any scientific credentials at all, since AFAIK
    he only has a BSc in Statistics and Operations Research.

    SC>I wonder how many
    >scientists refer to their critics as "stalkers"?

    Actually evolutionist Robert Wright was described by as Gould's "stalker":

    http://www.newyorkmag.com/page.cfm?page_id=1931

    New York Magazine

    February 14, 2000

    [...]

    Look Who's Stalking
    The ugly feud between pop paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould and science
    writer Robert Wright has been simmering for ten years now -- except
    somebody forgot to tell Gould.
    BY ETHAN SMITH

    In a 25-year career as a successful public intellectual, Stephen Jay Gould
    has accrued nearly all the trappings of celebrity: a new loft in SoHo, tenure
    at Harvard, a gig at NYU, book sales totaling in the millions (his twentieth
    title, The Living Stones of Marrakech, comes out next month), not to
    mention a schedule that takes him to London, Paris, or L.A. almost weekly.
    Not bad for a college professor. But recently, he's picked up one of the less
    desirable accoutrements of fame. The graying, 58-year-old Queens native
    has become the first paleontologist in history with his own stalker -- albeit
    an intellectual one.

    Last December, The New Yorker printed a 5,000-word essay, "The
    Accidental Creationist," with the subtitle "Why Stephen Jay Gould Is Bad
    for Evolution." The writer, Robert Wright, openly mocked Gould's
    credibility as a scientist and spokesman for evolution. In fact, Wright, a
    well-connected D.C. journalist, called his subject an unwitting accomplice
    in the fundamentalist crusade against science. The piece accused Gould of
    the ultimate heresy among evolutionists: offering succor to religious zealots
    who want to remove Darwin from the schools. It was a foolish and
    outrageous claim, and even Gould's enemies were taken aback.

    I gather that Wesley and particularly Richard, have made it their mission to
    follow Dembski around (as it were) and criticise him at every opportunity.

    In the case of real-world stalking I presume a major part of the criteria is if
    the person on the receiving end feels he/she is being stalked. In this case
    Dembski clearly feels he is being stalked by Wesley and Richard and so he
    has a right to point this out.

    SC>Talking with people
    >who don't agree with you can cause you to sharpen your methods or
    >account for weakness in your hypothesis.

    In the case of Wesley this may be the case. But I doubt if this is the case
    with Richard, unless the "where is the calculation?" argument is original
    with Richard.

    SC>Such discussions are usually
    >welcome--but *only* if you are doing science.

    Dembski is not objecting to "discussions". He is objecting to being
    `stalked'!

    SC>What if Dembski is successful in proving that, at least sometimes,
    >some things are intelligently designed. (I don't think he will, but
    >let's suppose).

    At least Susan is considering the possibility!

    SC>Will that make Lucy's skeleton disappear?

    No. The hard facts, including "Lucy's skeleton" are accepted by
    *everyone* even the YECs.

    SC>Will it
    >cause all the thousands of observations of mutation and selection
    >vanish?

    If they are actually "*observations* of mutation and selection", then no.
    But AFAIK there has never been even *one* "observation ... of mutation
    and selection". Mutations are AFAIK *never* actually observed. They are
    inferred when a phenotypical change is observed.

    SC>Nope! It will be come one datum in a very big pot. And it
    >will be a datum that is inconsistent with all the other data. One
    >thing that most scientists like to believe about the world is that it
    >is consistent and it makes sense.

    I've got news for Susan. Science is open-ended. If new "data" is
    established, then all the other "data" must give way to make room for it.

    If "Dembski is successful in proving that, at least sometimes, some things
    are intelligently designed" then science will have to accommodate that new
    fact, and those scientific theories (e.g. Darwinism) which assumed that
    nothing in nature was really intelligently designed, will have to be replaced
    or modified.

    Susan clearly does not realise what a paradigm shift it will be if it is
    discovered there is real design in nature after all. It will be bigger than
    making contact with an extraterrestrial civilisation.

    SC>And, still assuming that Dembski is successful, then what? The reason
    >that medical researchers can use rats and mice to do their
    >experiments and generalize to humans is because the medical
    >researchers believe we share common ancestry with mice and rats. So
    >far they have been enormously successful making that generalization.

    Agreed. I accept common ancestry. But ID has nothing against common
    ancestry. Mike Behe is one of the leaders if the ID Movement and he
    accepts common ancestry:

            "Further, I find the idea of common descent (that all organisms
            share a common ancestor) fairly convincing, and have no particular
            reason to doubt it." (Behe M.J., "Darwin's Black Box," 1996, p.5)

    SC>What kind of similar knowledge will Dembski's success bring us? All I
    >can see is a brick wall with "so there!" written on it.

    One could say that about any origins event. The Big Bang is the ultimate "
    brick wall with `so there!' written on it":

            "Consider the enormity of the problem. Science has proven that the
            Universe exploded into being at a certain moment. It asks, What
            cause produced this effect? Who or what put the matter and energy
            into the Universe? Was the Universe created out of nothing, or was
            it gathered together out of preexisting materials? And science
            cannot answer these questions because, according to the
            astronomers, in the first moments of its existence the Universe was
            compressed to an extraordinary degree, and consumed by the heat
            of a fire beyond human imagination. The shock of that instant must
            have destroyed every particle of evidence that could have yielded a
            clue to the cause of the great explosion. An entire world, rich in
            structure and history, may have existed before our Universe
            appeared; but if it did, science cannot tell what kind of world it was.
            A sound explanation may exist for the explosive birth of our
            Universe; but if it does, science cannot find out what the
            explanation is. The scientist's pursuit of the past ends in the moment
            of creation. This is an exceedingly strange development,
            unexpected by all but the theologians. They have always accepted
            the word of the Bible: In the beginning God created heaven and
            earth. ... The development is unexpected because science has had
            such extraordinary success in tracing the chain of cause and effect
            backward in time. We have been able to connect the appearance of
            man on this planet to the crossing of the threshold of life on the
            earth, the manufacture of the chemical ingredients of life within
            stars that have long since expired, the formation of those stars out
            of the primal mists, and the expansion and cooling of the parent
            cloud of gases out of the cosmic fireball. Now we would like to
            pursue that inquiry farther back in time, but the barrier to further
            progress seems insurmountable. It is not a matter of another year,
            another decade of work, another measurement, or another theory;
            at this moment it seems as though science will never be able to raise
            the curtain on the mystery of creation. For the scientist who has
            lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad
            dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to
            conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he
            is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for
            centuries." (Jastrow R., "God and the Astronomers," pp.106-107).

    The overriding question is not: "What kind of ... knowledge will Dembski's
    success bring us?" but whether it is *true*.

    Personally I think the empirical detection of real design in nature will be the
    greatest shot in the arm for science imaginable. Thinkers like John Horgan
    are already forecasting the end of science under the current materialist-
    naturalist paradigm:

            "Given these troubling issues, it is no wonder that many scientists
            whom I interviewed for this book seemed gripped by a profound
            unease. But their malaise, I will argue, has another, much more
            immediate cause. *If one believes in science*, one must accept the
            possibility-even the probability-that the great era of scientific
            discovery is over. By science I mean not applied science, but
            science at its purest and grandest, the primordial human quest to
            understand the universe and our place in it. Further research may
            yield no more great revelations or revolutions, but only incremental,
            diminishing returns." (Horgan J., "The End of Science: Facing the
            Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age," 1997,
            p.6. Emphasis in original.)

    SC>But then that
    >is perhaps all he wishes to achieve. If Dembski and IDists wanted to
    >undermine confidence in the power of natural selection, they could
    >design and conduct experiments that show it doesn't have any power.

    Dembski and IDists don't want so much "to undermine confidence in the
    power of natural selection" but to demonstrate Darwinist *over*-
    "confidence in the power of natural selection"! The reason for this is that
    Darwinism claims to be the *only* naturalistic solution, even in principle,
    to the problem of design:

            "More, I want to persuade the reader, not just that the Darwinian
            world-view happens to be true, but that it is the only known theory
            that could, in principle, solve the mystery of our existence. ... A
            good case can be made that Darwinism is true, not just on this
            planet but all over the universe wherever life may be found."
            (Dawkins R., "The Blind Watchmaker," 1991, p.xiv)

            "The Darwinian theory is in principle capable of explaining life. No
            other theory that has ever been suggested is in principle capable of
            explaining life." (Dawkins, 1991, p288).

            "In short, divine creation, whether instantaneous or in the form of
            guided evolution, joins the list of other theories we have considered
            in this chapter. All give some superficial appearance of being
            alternatives to Darwinism, whose merits might be tested by an
            appeal to evidence. All turn out, on closer inspection, not to be
            rivals of Darwinism at all. The theory of evolution by cumulative
            natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle
            capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity. Even if
            the evidence did not favour it, it would still be the best theory
            available! ... Cumulative selection, by slow and gradual degrees, is
            the explanation, the only workable explanation that has ever been
            proposed, for the existence of life's complex design." (Dawkins,
            1991, p.317)

    So a necessary part of the ID program is to show that random mutation
    and natural selection do not have the "power" that Darwinists ascribe to it.

    SC>But they know *that's* a waste of time--there are simply too many
    >experiments demonstrating that it *does* have power--so actually
    >doing science must be avoided at all costs.

    No one doubts that so-called "natural selection", which is really just
    differential survival and reproduction:

            "Natural selection ... is no more than a statistical measure of the
            difference in survival or reproduction among entities that differ in
            one or more characteristics, Selection is not caused by differential
            survival and reproduction; it *is* differential survival and
            reproduction, and no more." (Futuyma D.J., "Evolutionary
            Biology," 1986, p.7. Emphasis in original.)

    "*does* have power-". Even YECs will admit that:

            "Take the famous example of "Darwin's finches". On the Galapagos
            Islands about 600 miles west of Ecuador, Darwin observed a
            variety of finches, some with small beaks for catching insects,
            others with large beaks for crushing seeds, and one with the ability
            to use spines to pry insects from their burrows. How did Darwin
            explain the "origin" of these various finches? Exactly the same way
            a creationist would. He saw finches with variation in beak type on
            the South American mainland and presumed these finches may have
            reached the islands on a vegetation mat or something similar. The
            ones with seed-crushing beaks survived where seeds were the major
            food source, and those with insect-catching beaks out-reproduced
            others where insects were the major source of food. Given finches
            with a variety of beak types, then, natural selection helps us to
            explain how and where different varieties survive as they multiply
            and fill the earth. That, of course, is just what a creationist would
            say. Natural selection works great-it helps us explain how and
            where traits survive-if you have adapted or adaptable traits to start
            with." (Parker G.E., "Creation: the Facts of Life," 1980, pp.55-57)

    What ID / creationists (and secular anti-Darwinians too) claim is that
    Darwinists have greatly overestimated that "power".

    Indeed, the way some Darwinists talk about "natural selection", it sounds
    like it is their omnipotent deity, as it was for Darwin:

            "Not that he was above exploiting Gray's providential defence of
            'my deity "Natural Selection".' " (Desmond A. & Moore J.,
            "Darwin," 1992, p.502)

    SC>Dembski wants to "destroy
    >Darwinism" and destroying Darwinism is a different project from
    >doing science and adding to mankind's knowledge.

    No. If Darwinism claims to be scientific, and to have refuted design, then it
    should *welcome* attempts by design theorists to "destroy" (i.e. falsify) it.

    Susan's attempt to protect Darwinism from such destruction, by attacking
    the critics and ruling out of bounds their attempts at falsification, show that
    to Susan (and others who do likewise), Darwinism functions as a
    *religion*:

            "I still remember arguing in the Arkansas court house with one of
            the most prominent of the literalists (now generally known as
            creationists). Duane T. Gish, author of the best-selling work,
            "Evolution: The Fossils Say No!," resented bitterly what he felt was
            an unwarranted smug superiority assumed by us from the side of
            science. "Dr Ruse," Mr. Gish said, "the trouble with you
            evolutionists is that you just don't play fair. You want to stop us
            religious people from teaching our views in schools. But you
            evolutionists are just as religious in your way. Christianity tells us
            where we came from, where we're going, and what we should do
            on the way. I defy you to show any difference with evolution. It
            tells you where you came from, where you are going, and what you
            should do on the way. You evolutionists have your God, and his
            name is Charles Darwin." At the time I rather pooh-poohed what
            Mr. Gish said, but I found myself thinking about his words on the
            flight back home. And I have been thinking about them ever since.
            Indeed, they have guided much of my research for the past twenty
            years. Heretical though it may be to say this -- and many of my
            scientist friends would be only too happy to chain me to the stake
            and to light the faggots piled around -- I now think the Creationists
            like Mr. Gish are absolutely right in their complaint. Evolution is
            promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution
            is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion -- a full-fledged
            alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an
            ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this
            one complaint -- and Mr. Gish is but one of many to make it -- the
            literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true
            of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."
            (Ruse M., "How evolution became a religion," National Post, May
            13, 2000.
            http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife.asp?f=000513/288424)

    "Darwin wrote to Asa Gray in 1860. - `The eye to this day gives me a cold
    shudder, but when I think of the fine known gradation my reason tells me I
    ought to conquer the odd shudder.'" (Darwin C.R., letter to Asa Gray,
    February 1860, in Darwin F., ed., "The Life of Charles Darwin," [1902],
    Senate: London, 1995, reprint, p.208)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones