Re: Scientists Find Fossils of Man's Earliest Ancestor

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 22:26:21 EST

    >>>SEJones: ...

    [quote]... The ... samples were almost completely melted about 3.9 billion
    years ago. ... 750 million years after the Solar System was formed ... by
    four billion years ago it had started to decline. So the new data suggests
    that there was a brief period of resurgence. ... because the Earth is a
    bigger target than the Moon our planet would have sustained at least 10 times
    the number of punishing impacts. These would have melted the surface,
    vaporised any oceans that were trying to form and filled the atmosphere with
    superhot clouds of rock vapour. Any life that may have got started would have
    been destroyed. ..."

    **********************************

    DNAunion: Thanks SEJones. I have gone to the BBC site you listed and saved
    a copy of the report, and plan to add it to my "anti-OOL" material sometime.

    Oh yeah, and thanks for the other reference for the early signs of life (
    http://www.uta.edu/geology/geol1425earth_system/images/gaia_chapter_10/Early_L

    ife.htm ). I will have to look at it. I know that Schopf has identified
    photosynthetic organisms (cyanobacteria) in 3.5 billion year old strata, and
    that isotopic signatures of carbon-fixing enzymes have been found in 3.85
    billion-year-old rocks, so it would be VERY interesting if in fact the
    article states that there is evidence of photosynthetic organisms existing as
    early as 3.85 billion years ago.

    Again, thanks much for the two references.