Re: Eight respects in which evolution is neither intelligent *nor* random

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 19:33:00 EST

    >>>Chris Cogan: ...

    **************************************
    DNAunion: I would like to add that the randomness/chance I was referring to
    in one of my earlier posts on this topic is not based on the environment at
    all.

    When say 500 sea-turtle eggs hatch on the beach and the newborn make a mad
    dash towards the safety of the water, birds are present and pick them off
    one by one. The decision of which turtles will live and which will die is
    based almost entirely on chance. There are no baby seaturtles that can
    spring 100 MPH across the beach to reach the water, there are no baby
    seaturtles that can overpower and kill an attacking bird, there are no baby
    seaturtles that operate in stealth by blending in perfectly with the beach,
    etc. It is a free-for-all with luck ruling (like when Lucille Ball is working
    at a bakery on the assembly line that is running at double overdrive speed:
    she can't get all of the cakes loaded into a box (or whatever) and so only
    some of them make it safely while others pile up on the floor: but none of
    the cakes themselves are any more fit than the others).

    And even some mature animals die by chance. If a pride of lions charges a
    herd of zebra, sure, the "weakest" will most of the time be the ones that are
    caught: but sometimes, the smartest, strongest, and fastest zebra might
    happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (or "trip", or run the
    wrong way, or whatever) and get eaten.

    In these chance deaths, the number of copies of genes that confer a selective
    advantage is reduced. And any brand new advantageous alleles that these
    unlucky organisms chanced to possess for the first time, but never had a
    chance to pass on to any offspring, will have to arise all over again de novo
    (which takes a lot of time).