Re: Pascal's wager (was ID *does* require a designer! (but it does not need to identify who ...)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 18:15:34 EST

    >Pascal's point was that we *are* all wagering that we are right, against
    >*all* other religions and philosophies, whether we realise it or not:
    >
    > "Yes, but you must wager. There is no choice, you are already
    > committed. Which will you choose then? ... You would have to
    > play (since you must necessarily play) ..." (Pascal B., "Pensees,"
    > Penguin, 1966, p.123)

    Chris
    If one is already committed, then there is no room for choice. The choice,
    if any, has already been made. Thus, saying ,"Which will you choose then?"
    becomes rather silly, because it assumes that one is *not* committed.
    Pascal should make up his mind.

    Further, though it's true that in a very narrow sense we may all be said to
    be "betting" that we are right, this is really only meaningful if "live"
    alternatives are in fact available. Christianity is too full of nonsense to
    be a meaningful alternative to many of us. In such a case. Besides, a God
    who would have us try to brainwash ourselves into believing in him would be
    too stupid to blow his own nose without help.

    Thus, in another sense, no wager at all is involved, or, indeed, even
    possible. We believe what we believe, for whatever reasons we believe it,
    whether they are good or bad. We cannot *believe* on the basis of a betting
    situation. If I thought there was a significant chance that the Christian
    God existed, and that the rewards of *betting* on him were sufficient,
    etc., and *if* there was some way to bet on him, I might do so. But that
    would not change the cognitive basis of my belief, and it would not enable
    me to *believe* in him. The best I could do would be to try to hypnotize
    myself into believing in him, or something of that sort. But, until I
    succeeded, I would not be believing in him. I might be either *pretending*
    to believe in him or simply worrying that he might exist and I might lose
    out because I was not lucky enough to be *stupid* enough to fail to see the
    flaws in the arguments for his existence, etc., but I would not be actually
    believing in him until the hypnosis or brainwashing actually took
    sufficient effect.

    But, then, what kind of slimy, malignant, deranged, mindless God would ever
    make such demands of people, anyway? Such a God is not even logically
    possible, so how could I even be slightly concerned that such a God might
    exist and that I'd be losing out for *failing* to brainwash myself into
    believing in him?