Re: ID and Creationism

From: Susan Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 13:17:19 EST

    > >oh, hell no. But that's not a function of government so much as
    >>fundamentalists putting pressure on text book companies, teachers,
    >>and local school boards--and a basic decline in American education
    >>that has taken place over the last 40 years.
    >
    >All areas of American life has switched from thinkiing mode to feeling
    >except maybe you and me and I'm not sure any more about me <G> No one is
    >being taught to read and think critically and the only thing that matters
    >is how do you feel about a topic.
    >
    >For example, I am a recent member of the Christian Reformed Church. The
    >CRC has a long tradition of pushing education, particularly CRC
    >controlled schools. probably 80% of the adults in our congregation went
    >to "Christian" school as do probably 80% of the children. Yet I can't see
    >any obvious superior levels of education in the congregation and most of
    the adults do manual labor.

    >One would think that a denomination which pushes education and comes from
    >a Puritan backround would produce readers, yet the CRC was one of the
    >first which dumped the King James translation as being to complex. They
    >went to the NIV Bible which is probably the most simplified of the real
    >translations and now people are complaining that the NIV is to difficult
    >to read. In like matter, the "hard" words have been removed from the old
    >hymns. We have attained a "1984" world where words have become dangerous.

    I understand and agree. You have to realize that anti-intellectualism
    has always been rampant in the US. People are suspicious of anybody
    who thinks too much. Depending on where you live, you might try a
    Unitarian church with a strong Christian group (if you are
    Christian). We haven't taken all the "hard words" out of the hymns
    yet :-) And even my tiny church has a tiny library.

    >Prior to WW2 a high School graduate could handle 80% of the available
    >jobs and most college students graduated on the "Arts" side.

    I know. Sometimes I think the US is sliding into another Dark Ages
    and when I'm in a more cheerful mood I think our "service economy"
    will end up sweeping the floors of the Europeans and the Japanese.

    I just came back from a trip to a museum with my co-workers. One
    plant supervisor asked the docent if Van Gogh was "that ear guy" and
    I had to explain what a reliquary was to two women from the front
    office. (Otherwise I enjoyed the trip. That ear guy do paint nice
    pitchers.)

    Susan

    Susan

    --

    I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/