Fwd: [METAVIEWS] 098: Intelligent Design Coming Clean, Part 4 of 4

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 17:53:29 EST

    Group

    Part 4 of Dembski's 4-part post.

    7. Must All the Design in the Natural World Be Front-Loaded?

    But simply to allow that a designer has imparted information into the
    natural world is not enough. There are many thinkers who are
    sympathetic to design but who prefer that all the design in the world
    be front-loaded. The advantage of putting all the design in the world
    at, say, the initial moment of the Big Bang is that it minimizes the
    conflict between design and science as currently practiced. A
    designer who front-loads the design of the world imparts all the
    world's information before natural causes become operational and
    express that information in the course of natural history. In effect,
    there's no need to think of the world as an informationally open
    system. Rather, we can still think of it mechanistically -- like the
    outworking of a complicated differential equation, albeit with the
    initial and boundary conditions designed. The impulse to front-load
    design is deistic, and I expect any theories about front-loaded
    design to be just as successful as deism was historically, which
    always served as an unsatisfactory halfway house between theism (with
    its informationally open universe) and naturalism (which insists the
    universe remain informationally closed).

    There are no good reasons to require that the design of the universe
    must be front-loaded. Certainly maintaining peace with an outdated
    mechanistic view of science is not a good reason. Nor is the
    theological preference for a hands-off designer, even if it is
    couched as a Robust Formational Economy Principle. To be sure,
    front-loaded design is a logical possibility. But so is interactive
    design (i.e., the design that a designer introduces by imparting
    information over the course of natural history). The only legitimate
    reason to limit all design to front-loaded design is if there could
    be no empirical grounds for preferring interactive design to
    front-loaded design. Michael Murray in his recent paper "Natural
    Providence" for the Wheaton Philosophy Conference (October 2000,
    www.wheaton.edu/philosophy/conference.html) attempts to make such an
    argument. Accordingly, he argues that for a non-natural designer
    front-loaded design and interactive design will be empirically
    equivalent. Murray's argument hinges on a toy example in which a deck
    of cards has been stacked by the manufacturer before it gets wrapped
    in cellophane and distributed to card-players. Should a card-player
    now insist on using the deck as it left the manufacturer and
    repeatedly win outstanding hands at poker, even if there were no
    evidence whatsoever of cheating, then the arrangement of the deck by
    the manufacturer would have to be attributed to design. Murray
    implies that all non-natural design is like this, requiring no novel
    design in the course of natural history but only at the very
    beginning when the deck was stacked. But can all non-natural design
    be dismissed in this way?

    Take the Cambrian explosion in biology, for instance. David
    Jablonsky, James Valentine, and even Stephen Jay Gould (when he's not
    fending off the charge of aiding creationists) admit that the basic
    metazoan body-plans arose in a remarkably short span of geological
    time (5 to 10 million years) and for the most part without any
    evident precursors (there are some annelid tracks as well as evidence
    of sponges leading up to the Cambrian, but that's about it with
    regard to metazoans; single-celled organisms abound in the
    Precambrian). Assuming that the animals fossilized in the Cambrian
    exhibit design, where did that design come from? To be committed to
    front-loaded design means that all these body-plans that first
    appeared in the Cambrian were in fact already built in at the Big
    Bang (or whenever that information was front-loaded), that the
    information for these body-plans was expressed in the subsequent
    history of the universe, and that if we could but uncover enough
    about the history of life, we would see how the information expressed
    in the Cambrian fossils merely exploits information that was already
    in the world prior to the Cambrian period. Now that may be, but there
    is no evidence for it. All we know is that information needed to
    build the animals of the Cambrian period was suddenly expressed at
    that time and with no evident informational precursors.

    To see what's at stake here, consider the transmission of a
    manuscript by an anonymous author, say the New Testament book of
    Hebrews. There's a manuscript tradition that allows us to trace this
    book (and specifically the information in it) back to at least the
    second century A.D. More conservative scholars think the book was
    written sometime in the first century by a colleague of the Apostle
    Paul. One way or another we cannot be certain of the author's
    identity. What's more, the manuscript trail goes dead in the first
    century A.D. Consequently, it makes no sense to talk about the
    information in this book being in some sense front-loaded at any time
    prior to the first century A.D. (much less at the Big Bang).

    Now Murray would certainly agree (for instance, he cites the design
    of the pyramids as not being front-loaded). In the case of the
    transmission of biblical texts, we are dealing with human agents
    whose actions in history are reasonably well understood. But the
    distinction he would draw between this example, involving the
    transmission of texts, and the previous biological example, involving
    the origin of body-plans, cannot be sustained. Just because we don't
    have direct experience of how non-natural designers impart
    information into the world does not mean we can't say where that
    information was initially imparted and where the information trail
    goes dead. The key evidential question is not whether a certain type
    of designer (mundane or transcendent) produced the information in
    question, but how far that information can be traced back. With the
    Cambrian explosion the information trail goes dead in the Cambrian.
    So too with the book of Hebrews it goes dead in the first century
    A.D. Now it might be that with the Cambrian explosion, science may
    progress to the point where it can trace the information back even
    further -- say to the Precambrian or possibly even to the Big Bang.
    But there's no evidence for it and there's no reason -- other than a
    commitment to methodological naturalism -- to think that all
    naturally occurring information must be traceable back in this way.
    What's more, as a general rule, information tends to appear
    discretely at particular times and places. To require that the
    information in natural systems (and throughout this discussion the
    type of information I have in mind is specified complexity) must in
    principle be traceable back to some repository of front-loaded
    information is, in the absence of evidence, an entirely ad hoc
    restriction.

    It's also important to see that there's more to theory choice in
    science than empirical equivalence. The ancient Greeks knew all about
    the need for a scientific theory to "save the phenomena" (Pierre
    Duhem even wrote a delightful book about it with that title). A
    scientific theory must save or be faithful to the phenomena it is
    trying to characterize. That is certainly a necessary condition for
    an empirically adequate scientific theory. What's more, scientific
    theories that save the phenomena equally well are by definition
    empirically equivalent. But there are broader coherence issues that
    always arise in theory choice so that merely saving phenomena is not
    sufficient for choosing one theory over another. Empirically
    equivalent to the theory that the universe is 14 billion years old is
    the theory that it is only five minutes old and that it was created
    with all the marks of being 14 billion years old. Nonetheless, no one
    takes seriously a five minute old universe. Also empirically
    equivalent to a 14 billion year old universe is a 6,000 year old
    universe in which the speed of light has been slowing down and enough
    ad hoc assumptions are introduced to account for the evidence from
    geology and archeology that is normally interpreted as indicating a
    much older earth. In fact, the scientific community takes young earth
    creationists to task precisely for making too many ad hoc assumptions
    that favor a young earth. Provided that there are good reasons to
    think that novel design was introduced into the world subsequent to
    its origin (as for instance with the Cambrian explosion, where all
    information trails go dead in the Precambrian), it would be entirely
    artificial to require that science nonetheless treat all design in
    the world as front-loaded just because methodological naturalism
    requires it or because it remains a bare possibility that the design
    was front-loaded after all.

    Please note that I'm not offering a theory about the frequency or
    intermittency with which a non-natural designer imparts information
    into the world. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the information
    imparted by such a designer will elude us, not conforming to any
    patterns that might enable us to detect it (just as we might right
    now be living in a swirl of radio transmissions by extraterrestrial
    intelligences, though for lack of being able to interpret these
    transmissions we lack any evidence that embodied intelligences on
    other planets exist at this time). The proper question for science is
    not the schedule according to which a non-natural designer imparts
    information into the world, but the evidence for that information in
    the world, and the times and locations where that information first
    becomes evident. That's all empirical investigation can reveal to us.
    What's more, short of tracing the information back to the Big Bang
    (or wherever else we may want to locate the origin of the universe),
    we have no good reason to think that the information exhibited in
    some physical system was in fact front-loaded.

    8. The Distinction Between Natural and Non-Natural Designers

    But isn't there an evidentially significant difference between
    natural and non-natural designers? It seems that this worry is really
    what's behind the desire to front-load all the design in nature. We
    all have experience with designers that are embodied in physical
    stuff, notably other human beings. But what experience do we have of
    non-natural designers? With respect to intelligent design in biology,
    for instance, Elliott Sober wants to know what sorts of biological
    systems should be expected from a non-natural designer. What's more,
    Sober claims that if the design theorist cannot answer this question
    (i.e., cannot predict the sorts of biological systems that might be
    expected on a design hypothesis), then intelligent design is
    untestable and therefore unfruitful for science.

    Yet to place this demand on design hypotheses is ill-conceived. We
    infer design regularly and reliably without knowing characteristics
    of the designer or being able to assess what the designer is likely
    to do. In his 1999 presidential address for the American
    Philosophical Association Sober himself admits as much in a footnote
    that deserves to be part of his main text ("Testability,"
    _Proceedings and Addresses of the APA_, 1999, p. 73, n. 20): "To
    infer watchmaker from watch, you needn't know exactly what the
    watchmaker had in mind; indeed, you don't even have to know that the
    watch is a device for measuring time. Archaeologists sometimes
    unearth tools of unknown function, but still reasonably draw the
    inference that these things are, in fact, _tools_."

    Sober is wedded to a Humean inductive tradition in which all our
    knowledge of the world is an extrapolation from past experience. Thus
    for design to be explanatory, it must fit our preconceptions, and if
    it doesn't, it must lack epistemic value. For Sober, to predict what
    a designer would do requires first looking to past experience and
    determining what designers in the past have actually done. A little
    thought, however, should convince us that any such requirement
    fundamentally misconstrues design. Sober's inductive approach puts
    designers in the same boat as natural laws, locating their
    explanatory power in an extrapolation from past experience. To be
    sure, designers, like natural laws, can behave predictably. Yet
    unlike natural laws, which are universal and uniform, designers are
    also innovators. Innovation, the emergence to true novelty, eschews
    predictability. It follows that design cannot be subsumed under a
    Humean inductive framework. Designers are inventors. We cannot
    predict what an inventor would do short of becoming that inventor

    But the problem goes deeper. Not only can't Humean induction tame the
    unpredictability inherent in design; it can't account for how we
    recognize design in the first place. Sober, for instance, regards the
    intelligent design hypothesis as fruitless and untestable for biology
    because it fails to confer sufficient probability on biologically
    interesting propositions. But take a different example, say from
    archeology, in which a design hypothesis about certain aborigines
    confers a large probability on certain artifacts, say arrowheads.
    Such a design hypothesis would on Sober's account be testable and
    thus acceptable to science. But what sort of archeological background
    knowledge had to go into that design hypothesis for Sober's inductive
    analysis to be successful? At the very least, we would have had to
    have past experience with arrowheads. But how did we recognize that
    the arrowheads in our past experience were designed? Did we see
    humans actually manufacture those arrowheads? If so, how did we
    recognize that these humans were acting deliberately as designing
    agents and not just randomly chipping away at random chunks of rock
    (carpentry and sculpting entail design; but whittling and chipping,
    though performed by intelligent agents, do not). As is evident from
    this line of reasoning, the induction needed to recognize design can
    never get started.

    My argument then is this: Design is always inferred, never a direct
    intuition. We don't get into the mind of designers and thereby
    attribute design. Rather we look at effects in the physical world
    that exhibit the features of design and from those features infer to
    a designing intelligence. The philosopher Thomas Reid made this same
    argument over 200 years ago (_Lectures on Natural Theology_, 1780):
    "No man ever saw wisdom [read "design"], and if he does not [infer
    wisdom] from the marks of it, he can form no conclusions respecting
    anything of his fellow creatures.... But says Hume, unless you know
    it by experience, you know nothing of it. If this is the case, I
    never could know it at all. Hence it appears that whoever maintains
    that there is no force in the [general rule that from marks of
    intelligence and wisdom in effects a wise and intelligent cause may
    be inferred], denies the existence of any intelligent being but
    himself." The virtue of my work is to formalize and make precise
    those features that reliably signal design, casting them in the idiom
    of modern information theory.

    Larry Arnhart remains unconvinced. In the most recent issue of _First
    Things_ (November 2000) he claims that our knowledge of design arises
    not from any inference but from introspection of our own human
    intelligence; thus we have no empirical basis for inferring design
    whose source is non-natural. Though at first blush plausible, this
    argument collapses quickly when probed. Piaget, for instance, would
    have rejected it on developmental grounds: Babies do not make sense
    of intelligence by introspecting their own intelligence but by coming
    to terms with the effects of intelligence in their external
    environment. For example, they see the ball in front of them and then
    taken away, and learn that Daddy is moving the ball -- thus reasoning
    directly from effect to intelligence. Introspection (always a
    questionable psychological category) plays at best a secondary role
    in how initially we make sense of intelligence.

    Even later in life, however, when we've attained full
    self-consciousness and when introspection can be performed with
    varying degrees of reliability, I would argue that even then
    intelligence is inferred. Indeed, introspection must always remain
    inadequate for assessing intelligence (by intelligence I mean the
    power and facility to choose between options -- this coincides with
    the Latin etymology of "intelligence," namely, "to choose between").
    For instance, I cannot by introspection assess my intelligence at
    proving theorems in differential geometry, choosing the right
    sequence of steps, say, in the proof of the Nash embedding theorem.
    It's been over a decade since I've proven any theorems in
    differential geometry. I need to get out paper and pencil and
    actually try to prove some theorems in that field. Depending on how I
    do -- and not my memory of how well I did in the past -- will
    determine whether and to what degree intelligence can be attributed
    to my theorem proving.

    I therefore continue to maintain that intelligence is always
    inferred, that we infer it through well-established methods, and that
    there is no principled way to distinguish natural and non-natural
    design so that the one is empirically accessible but the other is
    empirically inaccessible. This is the rub. And this is why
    intelligent design is such an intriguing intellectual possibility --
    it threatens to make the ultimate questions real. Convinced
    Darwinists like Arnhart therefore need to block the design inference
    whenever it threatens to implicate a non-natural designer. Once this
    line of defense is breached, Darwinism quickly becomes indefensible.

    9. The Question of Motives

    Actually, there is still one remaining line of defense, and that is
    to question the motives of design theorists. According to Larry
    Arnhart (_First Things_, November 2000), "Most of the opposition to
    Darwinian theory ... is motivated not by a purely intellectual
    concern for the truth or falsity of the theory, but by a deep fear
    that Darwinism denies the foundations of traditional morality by
    denying any appeal to the transcendent norms of God's moral law." In
    a forthcoming response to an article of mine in _American Outlook_
    (November 2000), Michael Shermer takes an identical line: "It is no
    coincidence that almost all of the evolution deniers are Christians
    who believe that if God did not personally intervene in the
    development of life on earth, then they have no basis for their
    belief; indeed, that there can be no basis to any morality or meaning
    of life."

    For critics of intelligent design like Arnhart and Shermer, it is
    inconceivable that someone once properly exposed to Darwin's theory
    could doubt it. It is as though Darwin's theory were one of
    Descartes's clear and distinct ideas that immediately impels assent.
    Thus for design theorists to oppose Darwin's theory requires some
    hidden motivation, like wanting to shore up traditional morality or
    being a closet fundamentalist. For the record, therefore, let me
    reassert that our opposition to Darwinism rests in the first instance
    on scientific grounds. Yes, my colleagues and I are interested in and
    frequently write about the cultural and theological implications of
    intelligent design. But let's be clear that the only reason we take
    seriously such implications is because we are convinced that
    Darwinism is on its own terms an oversold and overreached scientific
    theory and that even at this early stage in the game intelligent
    design excels it.

    Critics who think they can defeat intelligent design merely by
    assigning disreputable motives to its proponents need to examine
    their own motives. Consider Shermer's motives for taking such a hard
    line against intelligent design. Shermer, trained in psychology and
    the social sciences, endlessly psychologizes those who challenge his
    naturalistic worldview. But is he willing to psychologize himself?
    Look at his popular books (e.g., _Why People Believe Weird Things_
    and _How We Believe_), and you'll notice on the inside dustjacket a
    smiling Shermer with a bust of Darwin behind him as well as several
    books by and about Darwin. Shermer's devotion to Darwin and
    naturalism is no less fervent than mine is to Christianity. If there
    is a difference in our devotion, it is this: Shermer is a dogmatist
    and I am not. I am willing to admit that intelligent design might be
    wrong (despite significant progress I believe design theorists still
    have their work cut out for them). Also, I am eager to examine and
    take seriously any arguments and evidence favorable to Darwinism. But
    Shermer cannot make similar concessions. He can't admit that
    Darwinism might be wrong. He is unwilling to take seriously any
    positive evidence for intelligent design. But this is hardly
    surprising. Shermer has a vested interest in taking a hard line
    against intelligent design. Indeed, his base of support among fellow
    skeptics (who rank among the most authoritarian and dogmatic people
    in contemporary culture) would vanish the moment he allows
    intelligent design as a live possibility.

    The success of intelligent design neither stands nor falls with the
    motives of its practitioners but with the quality of the research it
    inspires. That said, design theorists do have an extra-scientific
    motive for wanting to see intelligent design succeed. This motive
    derives not from a religious agenda but from a very human impulse,
    namely the desire to overcome artificial, tyrannical, or self-imposed
    limitations and thereby to open oneself and others to new
    possibilities -- in a word, freedom. This desire was beautifully
    expressed in Bernard Malamud's novel _The Fixer_ (Penguin, 1966).
    Yakov Bok, a handyman in pre-revolutionary Russia, leaves his small
    town and heads off to the big city (Kiev). As it turns out,
    misfortune upon misfortune awaits him there. Why does he go? He
    senses the risks. But he asks himself, "What choice has a man who
    doesn't know what his choices are?" (pp. 33-34) The desire to open
    himself to new possibilities impels him to go to the big city. Later
    in the novel, when he has been imprisoned and humiliated, so that
    choice after choice has been removed and his one remaining choice is
    to maintain his integrity, refuse to confess a crime he did not
    commit, and thereby prevent a pogrom; after all this, he is reminded
    that "the purpose of freedom is to create it for others." (p. 286)

    Design theorists want to free science from arbitrary constraints that
    stifle inquiry, undermine education, turn scientists into a secular
    priesthood, and in the end prevent intelligent design from receiving
    a fair hearing. The subtitle of Richard Dawkins's _The Blind
    Watchmaker_ reads _Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe
    Without Design_. Dawkins may be right that design is absent from the
    universe. But design theorists insist that science address not only
    the evidence that reveals the universe to be without design but also
    the evidence that reveals the universe to be with design. Evidence is
    a two-edged sword: Claims capable of being refuted by evidence are
    also capable of being supported by evidence. Even if design ends up
    being rejected as an unfruitful explanation in science, such a
    negative outcome for design needs to result from the evidence for and
    against design being fairly considered. On the other hand, the
    rejection of design must not result from imposing regulative
    principles like methodological naturalism that rule out design prior
    to any consideration of evidence. Whether design is ultimately
    rejected or accepted must be the conclusion of a scientific argument,
    not a deduction from an arbitrary regulative principle.

    What choice does science have if it doesn't know what its choices
    are? It can choose to stop arbitrarily limiting its choices.

    -- William Dembski

    including archives and submission guidelines, go to
    <http://www.meta-list.org>.

    There are now four separate meta-lists to which you can subscribe:
    <metaviews> is commentaries and bookreviews posted three to five
    times per week. <metanews> is announcements and news and is posted
    as frequently as needed. <metamonthly> is a monthly digest.
    moderated. You can subscribe to one or all of the meta-lists.

    If you would like to unsubscribe or change your subscription options,
    simply go to <http://www.meta-list.org> and follow the links to
    subscribe or unsubscribe. Note that all subscription changes entered
    on the web forms, requires your confirmation by email.

    Copyright 1999, 2000 by William Grassie. Copies of this internet posting
    may be made and distributed in whole without further permission. Credit:
    "This information was circulated on the Meta Lists on Science and Religion
    <http://www.meta-list.org>."

    "Contemporary religious thinkers often approach the Argument from
    Design with a grim determination that their churches shall not again be
    made to look foolish. Recalling what happened when churchmen opposed
    first Galileo and then Darwin, they insist that religion must be based not on
    science but on faith. Philosophy, they announce, has demonstrated that
    Design Arguments lack all force. I hope to have shown that philosophy has
    demonstrated no such thing. Our universe, which these religious thinkers
    believe to be created by God, does look, greatly though this may dismay
    them, very much as if created by God." (Leslie J., "Universes", [1989],
    Routledge: London, 1996, reprint, p.22)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones