Chance and Selection

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 13:19:49 EST

    To: ralphkru@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Ralph Krumdieck)

    Bertvan: Hi Ralph,
    You ask how something can be intelligently designed but not pre-determined?
    By defining intelligence as merely the ability to make choices, and not the
    phenomenon that is experienced by human conscious. Take the evolution of a
    culture or an economy, for example. (We have learned that evolved economies
    work better than pre-planned ones.) The evolution of such institutions are
    the result of many and varied individual actions. Each action is the result
    of some conscious choice rather than random. (choice, the opposite of
    random.) Regardless of the wisdom of each decision, "intelligence" of a sort
    is involved in making all choices. Some choices are better than others, but
    wrong decisions are rarely fatal, as would be required by Darwinism.

    Some choices are selfish and some are for the benefit of the institution as a
    whole. As opposed to Darwinists who regard altruism as a "survival strategy"
    which evolved as the result of chance and selection, I suggest that altruism
    is as much an intrinsic part of the design of life as self-interest. Life
    seems designed with a fine balance between the two. Dawkins' collection of
    "selfish genes" would have gone nowhere without altruism. If "intelligence"
    is a part of every living molecule, organisms may have gradually designed
    themselves. Margulis suggests that the eukaryote cell evolved from an
    accumulation of individual acts of symbiosis. I can't imagine that the
    evolution of the biosphere took place by any other mechanism than
    accumulation of individual choices. Certainly a bunch of biospheres didn't
    die off until one arose (by chance) that worked. (I'm intrigued by biologist
    Rupert Shelldrake's suggestion that all laws of nature are entrenched
    habits.) If, as suggested by the panspermia people, horizontal transfer
    plays a roll in creation of complexity, some internal "intelligence" would
    still be necessary to organize any new genetic material.

    Ralph:
    >OK. Does the quality of those choices enter into the picture? Does the
    >presence of life intelligence guarantee life-preserving decisions? If
    >not, why not? If it does, how do you account for extinctions?

    Bertvan
    Obviously some choices are better than others, and extinction looks pretty
    Darwinian. IDs do not question natural selection as playing a roll in
    nature; we question its creative power. There is nothing creative about
    extinction.

    Bertvan:
    >>If the choices were predetermined, that would no
    >>longer involve either choice or intelligence.

    Ralph:
    >I can see why you say it would no longer involve choice but how
    >do you rule out intelligence? Intelligence would be required for
    >the pre-determination, wouldn't it? Or are you saying the creature
    >whose "choice" is predetermined also loses its intelligence?

    Bertvan:
    A creature whose "choice" is predetermined would certainly have no use for
    intelligence, spontaneity or free will.

    Bertvan:
    >>If the intelligence contained
    >>within a single cell is sufficient to organize that cell's maturation into
    >>complex, multi-celled organism, I see no reason to doubt that same
    >>intelligence might occasionally be capable of creating a mutation
    >> "needed" by the organism to adjust to its environment.

    Ralph:
    >If a single cell has intelligence, what would that intelligence need to
    >be able to do to create a mutation beneficial to the organism under changing
    >environmental conditions? It would have to be aware of the changes in the
    >environment. It would have to determine that those changes either require
    >a favorable mutation for the organism's survival or that those environmental
    >changes have created a new niche that a particular mutation would allow
    >the organism to profitably occupy.

    Bertvan:
    Maybe the only intelligence required would be the ability to recognize which
    part of the organism was being stressed. The curiosity and creativity of
    living organisms ensures the occupation of new niches. But this is conscious
    "choice". I doubt anyone knows how intelligence "works". We experience it
    at the conscious lever, but it still remains pretty mysterious IMHO. The
    most creative people have acknowledged no understanding of the process.

    Bertvan
    >>Mutations created and "preferentially selected by life" would be
    >>quite different from Darwin's "natural selection" where death of the
    >>organism, or inability to produce sufficient viable offspring, does the
    >>selecting and the creating. (The latter would be a pretty clumsy,
    >>inefficient design for a system as complex as life, IMHO.)

    Ralph:
    >Well, certainly if "natural selection" is a system designed by some
    >intelligence as a way to produce life, it's so loosey-goosey I have
    >to question the IQ of that intelligence. Any of us (you, for instance)
    >could come up with a better, more efficient way. But we are making a
    >lot of assumptions. We value efficiency but the intelligence in life may
    >not give a rip. We tend to value life but the intelligence in life
    >may not. We find pre-planning to be helpful. The life intelligence
    ?may opt for complete spontaneity.

    Bertvan:
    At the moment the theory of evolution is "stressed". Many people see its
    weaknesses. Speculations are rampant. Each speculation is the result of
    "intelligence" in the sense of being purposeful. (the purpose of relieving
    the "stressed" theory). They are far from random. Maybe one of these
    speculations will fill a "need". Fortunately, however, the system is also
    designed to maintain stability, and conservative forces resist change and
    help ensure that any innovation is for the better. Maybe something like that
    takes place in nature.

    Sure enjoyed it, Ralph.

    Bertvan:
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan