Re: chance and selection

From: Susan Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 10:42:35 EST

    Bertvan:

    >http://www.scientificamerican.com/2000/0600issue/0600pawson.html
    >
    >Anyone who believes all this came together by chance mutation and natural
    >selection would believe in Santa and tooth fairies.

    Thanks for posting this, it's very good. However, you'd better keep
    an eye out for the Jolly Old Elf. This is from the article:

    "From an evolutionary perspective, the advent of a modular signaling
    system would be very useful to cells. By mixing and matching existing
    modules, a cell can generate many molecules and combinations of
    molecules and can build an array of interconnected pathways without
    having to invent a huge repertoire of building blocks. What is more,
    when a new module does arise, its combination with existing modules
    can increase versatility tremendously--just as adding a new area
    code to a city turns already assigned phone numbers into entirely new
    ones for added customers."

     From randomness comes great creativity. What's wrong with that?

    Susan

    --

    I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/