Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 06:11:59 EST

    From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
    [...]
    >*If* the bag was to be placed on the
    >Earth's surface at rest relative to it, then it *would* have the
    >tendency you claim.

    Minor quibble. I think this is misleading. If the bag was placed on a solid
    flat surface, such as the ground, it would *not* have any tendency to fall.

    The general point here is that, in the absence of any forces, a stationary
    object's tendency is to remain stationary. It will only start moving in the
    presence of a force. In the case of an object on a solid flat surface, there
    is an upward force from the surface which balances the downward force from
    gravity, so there is no net force acting on the object.

    In the case of a bag sitting on the high end of a "teeter-totter" (or
    "see-saw" as we call it here), it could be argued, using DNAUnion's
    terminology, that the force of gravity, in accelerating the bag downwards,
    "overcomes" the bag's natural tendency to remain motionless.

    But all this really means is that we can envisage two different situations,
    one with no force acting and one *with* a force acting. In the former case,
    the bag doesn't move, and in the latter it does. In other words, as David
    goes on to say, in a deterministic system such as this, there is no
    difference between "tendency" and actual "behaviour". Both are a consequence
    of the particular circumstances of the system.

    The analogous argument in the case of the SLOT would be that the entropy of
    an isolated system has a natural tendency to increase (or remain
    constant). This tendency can be "overcome" by making the system
    non-isolated, i.e. by providing an environment with which the system can
    exchange energy. (Note that this does not by itself mean that the system's
    entropy *will* decrease, but only that SLOT's requirement that the
    (isolated) system's entropy decrease will no longer be applicable.)

    Introducing DNAUnion's terminology of "tendency" and "overcome" only
    confuses the argument. It doesn't actually change it.

    Finally, as I'm trying to describe the situation in DNAUnion's rather
    confusing terms, let me try to use his term "energy conversion mechanism".
    Since the SLOT deals only with energy and entropy, I assume that, by "energy
    conversion mechanism", DNAUnion means something which "converts" energy into
    reduced entropy. Well, the something that does this is the energy-driven
    processes that I mentioned earlier, such as chemical reactions. If you want
    to go to a lower level of explanation, then it's the primary physical
    (nuclear) forces which cause chemical reactions. DNAUnion probably wants to
    know *which* chemical reactions are (or might be) involved in abiogenesis.
    Well, so do I! But that's outside the scope of the SLOT. It's sufficient, as
    far as the SLOT is concerned, to know that there *are* processes which
    "convert" energy into reduced entropy.

    (I suspect the word "convert" is misleading, because no energy is lost in
    the process. But perhaps "free energy" is converted into non-free energy.
    Could David please confirm or correct this?)

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.